Bookmarks and latest update

Iron Forum for english speaking people

schnedler

Bookmarks and latest update

Post by schnedler »

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of SRWare (srware_iron64). However, it did not uninstall the old version (srware_iron - which I just installed four days ago), so after checking the new version, bookmarks and all, everything was working fine, so I uninstalled the old version (again only installed on 10/23). As soon as I did, the bookmarks went away in the newest version. I now have NO bookmarks with this new version. What do I need to do to get my old ones back? I know I can import, but it only imports Firefox, IE or an HTML file, which I didn't save before uninstalling because they were working fine on the new version. I checked in Explorer under the user folder and the newest file called Bookmarks is over a year old. I don't know where the newest file is under the older version , which I just installed on 10/23/14, or if I find it where even to put it in Explorer. Any help would be appreciated. This is, of course, very frustrating.
Jerr39

Re: Bookmarks and latest update

Post by Jerr39 »

The only suggestion that I can think of is to re-install the old version of Iron. If your bookmarks are still on your computer somewhere, then re-installing the old version may reactivate them again. If it does, then you should immediately export them to an HTML file through the bookmark manager so you can import them after you uninstall the old version of Iron again.

If that doesn't work, then you may be able to manually recover the the bookmarks. (There is a chance that they were lost when the old version of Iron was uninstalled.) If you have still it, it should be in the following directories:

*Your Windows Drive*\Users\*Your Computer Name*\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Bookmarks

There's also a Bookmarks.bak in the list too. Both files contains basic code, so if you do have the file, you will need to open it up in a text editor (Word, notepad, etc.) to obtain the links. You will then need to manually add them to your bookmarks list in Iron. That could be tedious depending on how many bookmarks you have, but at least you will have a complete list of your bookmarks if the file is there.

Other than that, I'm not sure of other alternatives.