New Iron-Version: 38.0.2050.0 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

dallas7

Re: New Iron-Version: 38.0.2050.0 Stable for Windows

Post by dallas7 »

Hello All.

I downloaded the x64 portable from the link here on page one. Works great but I'm puzzled.

About says it's v38.0.2050.0 while the chrome.exe is v38.0.2126.101. The version is confirmed by online tests, i.e. BrowserScope. Obviously there's been an upgrade to the zip file.

Both the software_srware_iron_download page and this thread's title show v38.0.2050.0 - not a complaint, just an observation.

How then can one stay informed about the next version without having to download the zip file occasionally to the chrome.exe file?

Thanks!
"Machines making machines... How perverse." -C3PO
looker

Post by looker »

Azrael5 wrote:
looker wrote:New to Iron I do like the browser, but it keeps popping up that Iron is not the default browser even when I click do not show again. In settings it says Iron is not the default browser and it will not change even when I try to set it as default. Windows has it set as default but Iron is saying no. Any way to fix this? Oh 64 bit version. Thanx great browser

Use CCleaner to clean registry keys. If donen't work uninstall Iron delete CHROMIUM folder into Local folder (search for it) then use CCleaner to clen and reinstall it.

Tried it and it still does it?
lucky1981

Post by lucky1981 »

How do you change the user-agent in this version? None of the suggestions work (ua.ini, --user-agent=). Please help!
bugman

Post by bugman »

Pepix3 wrote:for the sync- just run the activate sync utility in the srware Iron program files folder.
works for me, even in the portable version.

What does not work for me is:
Spotify web player - crashes after few seconds, even with newest flash (normal and even sugested 15 beta)
and google spreadsheets crashes as well
no web links in windows aplications, including shortcuts do not work - and that is a deal breaker -I had to set the system handlers (http and https to use chrome instead until this is resolved)

and the new tab tabs are rather small (I have to use 150% even if it was fine on v30) and I use a normal resolution monitor, not some detailed one
Same issues with spotify here. There seem to be some improvements with this build however. 8-)
bugman

Post by bugman »

Just also wanted to mention i tried manually installing WidevineCDM (DRM HTML5 extention) and didn't get to far.
Tried putting the extension in both the main iron directory as well as in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM
But neither helped. So then i tried enabling the experimental Encrypted Media Extensions flag in chrome://flags that didn't help either.

Admin, Is there a way we can enable widevinecdm ? My enterprise blocks microsoft at the router level so silverlight isn't a option for us since it phones home to microsoft for permissions it would seem.

As for the spotify issue, im still trying to figure that one out :(

I'm also getting the 1 second initial pause with flash videos but im going to follow what i've found in the following thread to see if i can remedy the issue.
forums. adobe.com/thread/1353491?start=0&tstart=0
lylejk

Post by lylejk »

For those who are having flash video playback issues, I've noticed that if I disable hardware acceleration, all will be well. Unfortunately, at the place where you are trying to play the video at, you won't be able to disable it. Go to a flash applet that still works, then you can right-click at the applet and click settings. Afterwards, just unclick hardware acceleration. Not sure why some flash sites have problems while others don't w.r.t. hardware acceleration, but it doesn't appear to be detrimental to the videos that I watched (that required disabling hardware acceleration that is). Maybe this issue will soon be fixed. :)
bugman

Post by bugman »

- Flash - Well i think i finally might have a toe hold on whats going on with flash on my end. So thats something atleast.

- WidevineCDM - I tried a couple more things to get the new HTML5 DRM extension working to no avail. Its a big bummer because i wanted to try out TidalHiFi 's new HD Music service. Another issue is that silverlight phones home to microsoft for DRM and i would really want to avoid using that.

That all being said a new issue cropped up as well. Is anyone else not able to load the "More reasons" toggle at the bottom of this page ?

https://www.change.org/p/blue-cross-blu ... -surgeries

Even with a new profile i wasn't able to get it working but it works fine in regular chrome.
Hugo z Hor

Post by Hugo z Hor »

bugman wrote:That all being said a new issue cropped up as well. Is anyone else not able to load the "More reasons" toggle at the bottom of this page ?

https://www.change.org/p/blue-cross-blu ... -surgeries

Even with a new profile i wasn't able to get it working but it works fine in regular chrome.
„More reasons” works for me when clicked, but interesting is that whole section shows only when inner browser window width must be at least 992 pixels. Same in Firefox and Opera.
A.Fenris

Re: Netflix broke..

Post by A.Fenris »

Mannard wrote:Ever since Iron v37 Netflix has been broke for me...

Netflix keeps asking for "Widevine Content Decryption Module". And I noticed uner Chrome://plugins there is no such module.

I'm using fresh install Win 7 64-bit, Socket 775 Q6850, Evga 780i motherboard, 2xGTX 295 video card, 8gb ddr2, 2TB WD Green, LG Bluray, LX8 mouse, G11 keyboard
--------------------------------------------------
You're lucky - my NETFLIX has been broken since v35 and no help from SRWare or Netflix.. The only suggestion is "use firefox..." Unless you can fix it yourself, it's probably broken permanently. :evil:

~dg~
Intel D845PESV / Win XP SP3 / 2GB DDR333 / P4 2.4 GHz / ATI 9700 AGP
bugman

Re: Netflix broke..

Post by bugman »

A.Fenris wrote:
Mannard wrote:Ever since Iron v37 Netflix has been broke for me...

Netflix keeps asking for "Widevine Content Decryption Module". And I noticed uner Chrome://plugins there is no such module.

I'm using fresh install Win 7 64-bit, Socket 775 Q6850, Evga 780i motherboard, 2xGTX 295 video card, 8gb ddr2, 2TB WD Green, LG Bluray, LX8 mouse, G11 keyboard
--------------------------------------------------
You're lucky - my NETFLIX has been broken since v35 and no help from SRWare or Netflix.. The only suggestion is "use firefox..." Unless you can fix it yourself, it's probably broken permanently. :evil:

~dg~

Just some bit of info. The WidevineCDM plugin probably wouldn't show up in chrome://plugins it would be displayed in chrome://components

Also the latest version of Iron works for netflix now but still only using silverlight which is a MAJOR pain because it phones home to micro$$$$oft grrrrrrrr :twisted:
And since i have their domain blocked at the modem (router) level netflix won't work unless i unblock it which is a maaaajor PITA.

Try upgrading to the latest version of Iron, make sure silverlight is installed and note that netflix will only work in a regular browser window, it won't work in incognito mode.