So far so good!

Iron Forum for english speaking people

tickedoff

So far so good!

Post by tickedoff »

I found this browser while looking for an alternative to the new chromium Opera. The info about privacy options being better than Chrome out of the box is what interested me. I am a bit "ticked off" at Opera for some of the decisions they made when they converted to the Chromium engine. While I don't mind all that much their choice to go with the open source Chromium core, it's their decisions about the UI and lack of support of customization by power users that bothers me.

I just started with SRWare Iron today (ver 35.?), and I got the extensions I wanted installed directly from the Chrome Store without any of the special steps that I saw mentioned in the forum. I'll keep reading for more tips, but so far I'm liking it. I am not a fan of Google corp. at all, so it does feel a bit awkward to be using a browser so closely linked to them. I want to keep an eye on the privacy and tracking aspect, and use extra blocking extensions in addition to what SRWare has done, so maybe using the Chromium core won't send me too often into the enemy camp. :)
tickedoff

Re: So far so good!

Post by tickedoff »

I forgot to mention that the Bookmarks import (from FF, which was found automatically) worked flawlessly. I'm also glad to see there's a quick way to turn the bookmark bar on and off, which means I can use it when I want to.

I got almost everything working like I wanted with little effort. One minor thing I can't find a way to do yet is move toolbar buttons where I want them on the location bar, and/or move them to another toolbar. I specifically like to have the Back/Forward buttons on the right, close to the scroll bar. And I prefer to leave most of the location bar space for the URL text box so I can see what is there. A status bar or addon bar at the bottom would be good for all the extra toys (extensions) - maybe I'll find an extension for that too.

:ironvsopera :ironvschrome