NO MORE CHROME EXTENSIONS!

Iron Forum for english speaking people

RazerAnansi

Re: NO MORE CHROME EXTENSIONS!

Post by RazerAnansi »

I'm back using 3.4 and still can't access Chrome Extensions. I did try 3.5 but after my extensions didn't update with newer version I went back to 3.4. Seems to be getting slower at times and still struggling playing web videos (Vine never plays on Facebook) even after settings checks. And still have 5 separate preocesses of chrome.exe running in task manager. ( realize these are related to extensions and not the browser itself, correct ?). Totally understandable and appreciated but still frustrating dealing with these and seems more problems are happening with newer versions. With all due respect "SRWare"
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Q6600
Asus P5N-D
4GB-OCZ-DDR2
XFX R9 270X
dumblonde

Post by dumblonde »

Has anyone found a fix for this. I have tried every suggestion here & in every other thread on the same topic but nothing works. No offense to the Iron creators but if I can no longer DL extensions I must move on from the greatest browser ever to something else that will at least let me DL extensions.

I have added a text file in the Iron folder
I have checked developer in extentions
I have tried DL the .crx files using the Chrome Extension Downloader but that tool seems dead.

I am at my wits end :(

I am running Iron version 34 btw.
DDZ57

Post by DDZ57 »

jackscagnetti1 wrote:for anyone that wants a prior version

http://srware-iron.software.informer.com/download/

also put a text file in C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron

Put Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2049.0 Safari/537.36 inside of it and rename it to UA.ini

or what ever the latest chrome version is. This above is version 37
On GNU/Linux, what is the file in which we must write these lines, please?
Thank you in advance! :)
markaz

Post by markaz »

Not sure what all this downgrading has to do with accessing these extensions. I'm still using Iron v.22.0.1250.0 (160000) and I can't get extensions. Is all of this talk about downgrading just a smokescreen? Appears that Iron users are being squeezed out by Google because we don't use Chrome and that we'll all be Chrome users if we want to enjoy the Chromium source code. Has Iron run its course as a viable browser in the future?
Bad Karma

Post by Bad Karma »

Version 29.0.1600.1 (220100)
I get this when I try to download a extension
yes have develop[er checked
http://prntscr.com/46lvna
mrttao

Post by mrttao »

The changes were made in the chrome web store site to block non "official" browsers.

This isn't a bug that was introduced to iron with a new version, if you kept an old version of iron you are still going to see the exact same thing. All of a sudden none of your extensions will auto update, and you can't install new ones from the web store.

You can manually install extensions if you can find them on developer site in crx format, but that requires that you use v34 or earlier.

However, if you are using v35+, what you can do is use 7z to extract the crx file into a directory. Then in iron go to extensions, check the "developer mode" box, click "load unpacked extension", and select the folder into which you extracted the crx file. This will install the extension without requiring that it be available on the web store.
markaz

Post by markaz »

dumblonde wrote:Has anyone found a fix for this. ...
I have tried DL the .crx files using the Chrome Extension Downloader but that tool seems dead.

I am at my wits end :(
What seems to be the problem with the Downloader. For me, anyway, it is the only way that I can get an extension from the Chrome Webstore. If you can find the .crx file on a developers website, it's very straightforward.

One thing to keep in mind is that Google is more than aware that non-Chrome users are still able to access extensions and are taking measures to plug every loophole. Their newest one is the creation of a _metadata file that is part of a download and not "installed" in the User Data directory. Here's the newest message that appears in Iron when trying to install a .crx extension downloaded from the Webstore using the Downloader:
In looking at the .crx file name there is no "_" at the beginning of the name, so it's their recently added _metadata. I know no nothing about coding, but do wonder if this "barrier" is one that Iron developers could address. Dunno. What are a couple of the extensions you'd like to get? I want to see if I'm able to get them installed.
XtremeRampage

Post by XtremeRampage »

I think I discovered from ABP forum a way to "fool" the Chrome developers shady attempt to forbid old extensions/chrome users:
https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=15
change the extension from crx to zip

Then un-zip file the file locally. ==> in a folder
In chrome, go to the extensions page (tools -> extensions), select the 'Developer mode' checkbox
Click the "Load unpacked extension..." button
Navigate to the location of the unzip ABP extension folder. and select it.
ABP extension should load.
In my case, I tried to install an extension using above method but SRWare Iron still "unable" to accept the extension. The workaround is that I rename the folder contained within the unzipped extension (e.g: _metadata to metadata) before clicking the "Load unpacked extension..." button.

:ironvschrome