iron.exe vs chrome.exe

Iron Forum for english speaking people

dojo

iron.exe vs chrome.exe

Post by dojo »

been using iron for years and love it.

i have a question though - recently within the past 2 versions of Iron that i've used, I noticed a problem.

I use rainmeter, and clicking the links in rainmeter stopped opening my browser at all (used to open directly to the link, which was nice).

i did some digging via the command line, and found that if i invoked iron.exe while passing a string, it didn't open that website, but it did if i passed that string to chrome.exe.

(in windows, you can see this from cmd, by running $iron.exe "www.google.com" vs $chrome.exe "www.google.com")

why are both chrome.exe and iron.exe included in SR Ware Iron deployments?

Also now, I noticed when i run iron.exe, iron.exe is no longer in the task manager, rather chrome is!

what's going on here?

I found a workaround for my link opening issue by simply making a copy of chrome.exe and calling it iron.exe (while moving the original iron.exe).

things seems to be working normally - but now why is iron.exe even needed?

thanks,
dojo
dojo

Re: iron.exe vs chrome.exe

Post by dojo »

hello,

still don't have a solution to this.

the easy way to see this on windows:

go to RUN Prompt:

chrome www.google.com (hit enter, you see the iron window popup from the launch of the chrome.exe popup)
iron www.google.com (nothing happens)
iron (a new browser window is opened)

so what is the purpose of iron.exe if chrome.exe can be run in its place?

in fact, SRware Iron runs _fine_ without iron.exe even existing.

ideas?
arflech

Re: iron.exe vs chrome.exe

Post by arflech »

My best guess is that iron.exe is now a stub and SRWare has moved to naming the main process chrome.exe.

I remember old versions of Opera doing something similar, shipping a stub called netscape.exe that just launched opera.exe, except of course that Opera was never known as Netscape and had always used opera.exe as its main process.