New machine XP to Win8.1---PASSWORDS

Iron Forum for english speaking people

ironuser

New machine XP to Win8.1---PASSWORDS

Post by ironuser »

I managed to get all of my profiles working in the Win8.1 machine EXCEPT the damned Passwords.
Is there ANY way to get them working without having to create all new profiles and re installing the extensions etc?
The login files are in the profiles, but nothing appears in the 'Saved Passwords' area in the settings.
And yes! they are set to 'Ask to save Passwords'!

BTW, I am still using Version 30.0.1650.0 (230000) because of the extension not working aspect of the newer versions.
desu

Re: New machine XP to Win8.1---PASSWORDS

Post by desu »

Passwords are encrypted and are tied to the current PC, so moving passwords to another computer is rather impossible by simplying moving profiles around computers.

You could sync your passwords to move them by signing in to Iron (Google) if you trust google with your data.

You can also use the lastpass extension to import your passwords and store your passwords more securely and globally across browsers.

The portableapps.com version of Iron has a feature to make passwords portable so that will let you move them across computers if the other two solutions are unacceptable. To access it you need to edit the IronPortable.ini:

Code: Select all

PortablePasswords=True
EncryptPortablePasswords=True
Remove the "#" berfore "EncryptPortablePasswords" if it has one.
Version 30 can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... 0Portable/

There is also an official portable version of Iron, but I am not sure if that one allows you to move passwords around.

Also make sure you backup in case something goes wrong.
If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

OK, thanks! I didn't know passwords were not compatible from machine to machine. Seems like a damned dumb thing IMO!

I did get Lastpass, and it will take some getting use to.

The portable thing doesn't sound like a fun thing, so I'll stick with Lastpass.

Again, thanks for the response.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Now that I put some more thought into it, my wife bought a new Windows 7 laptop a couple of months back.
I 'moved' her profile to her new machine(XP to Win7), and of course the passwords didn't work right off.
BUT, then I did something with her 'moved profile' that I can't remember, and got her passwords working in version 30 on the new machine.

So, to me it IS possible! I just have to remember what I did to make them work on her new machine.

I'll probably stick to Lastpass, but I get this urge to solve problems that I have solved before.