Iron is listed 14 times in Windows Task Manager

Iron Forum for english speaking people

taltamir

Re: Iron is listed 14 times in Windows Task Manager

Post by taltamir »

sting101 wrote:Don't know what you mean by "this is how chrome is meant to work" but I sure remember having up to 40 tabs and I would never face this same Low Memory Windows Warning issue which leads to iron crashing and losing all my tabs over and over again. This only started happening recently. almost 100mb per tab, do you call this normal?
The complaint was that Iron opens more than 1 process, this IS how it is supposed to work and this IS part of why chromium is the fastest browser around and also saves ram.
If you are now complaining that it uses too much ram per tab, that is a whole different issue.

As for 100MB per tab... seems pretty normal to me.
sk68

Post by sk68 »

100MB per tab may seem to normal to you, but for users who just use chrome for web searches, etc (i.e. nothing extravagant) and have small resources or are running other much more memory intensive programs, it can certainly be excessive. Thus in effect just saying this is the way iron/chrome works is not really helping the OP at all. Personally, I agree with the OP in that I only use chrome for sparse google searches and I normally use it in conjunction to other programs (which are of higher priority cpu or memory-wise) and I would rather have iron/chrome use as small resources as possible even if it required that page loading would take 200x more than it does right now. I DON'T CARE ABOUT SPEED/PERFORMANCE. I only care about proper rendering of the page (i.e. CSS and HTML5 support) regardless of performance. Now the question is how to get iron/chrome to use AS LITTLE MEMORY AS POSSIBLE *without* regards to page loading speed or any of that crap.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

sk68 wrote:100MB per tab may seem to normal to you, but for users who just use chrome for web searches, etc (i.e. nothing extravagant) and have small resources or are running other much more memory intensive programs, it can certainly be excessive.
Compare the same websites in other browsers, do they take the same amount of ram? if yes then it turns out you are using something extravagant and you aren't aware of it.
Also, 100mb is not extravagant at all. I don't know what fantasy land you live in, but in reality 100MB is very little.
sk68 wrote:Thus in effect just saying this is the way iron/chrome works is not really helping the OP at all.
His complaint is that Iron works exactly as indended. Now he has been educated he knows this is as intended.
sk68 wrote: I DON'T CARE ABOUT SPEED/PERFORMANCE. I only care about proper rendering of the page (i.e. CSS and HTML5 support) regardless of performance. Now the question is how to get iron/chrome to use AS LITTLE MEMORY AS POSSIBLE *without* regards to page loading speed or any of that crap.
Use a different browser. This is like going to a gluten free bakery and complaining that you "don't care about all this gluten free crap". good for you, the door is over there, go somewhere that doesn't use it.
It is completely impossible to modify iron to not work this way

PS. the only reason to EVER care about how much ram something uses is performance, because performance tanks when you run out of ram and need to cache to harddrive. so "I don't care about speed" is a very stupid thing to combine with "I want the least amount of ram use possible" whose only purpose is to increase speed.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

sk68 wrote:100MB per tab may seem to normal to you, but for users who just use chrome for web searches, etc (i.e. nothing extravagant) and have small resources or are running other much more memory intensive programs, it can certainly be excessive. Thus in effect just saying this is the way iron/chrome works is not really helping the OP at all.
I just double checked, the original post was explicitly about:
1. the number of instances
2. the CPU usage

Nowhere does the original post mention ram.