How to Update Iron

Iron Forum for english speaking people

iamthesuck

How to Update Iron

Post by iamthesuck »

Because Iron does not update in the background, what do I need to do to update when the next release comes out? And if this involves re installation, will I lose my bookmarks, preferences, etc?

//Edit by Admin:
Now avaiable:
http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11751
mapx

Re: How to Update Iron

Post by mapx »

you simply run the new release and all your bookmarks preferences and so on will remain the same
ChrisI

Post by ChrisI »

I use SRWare Iron Portable. It would be perfect to have an auto-update function integrated (like in Firefox Portable). Otherwise I don't upgrade manually to every new verion, which is a security risk - I know ;-)
slayerr

Post by slayerr »

ChrisI wrote:I use SRWare Iron Portable. It would be perfect to have an auto-update function integrated (like in Firefox Portable). Otherwise I don't upgrade manually to every new verion, which is a security risk - I know ;-)
yeah, that would be nice! I only use the portable version aswell.
armando

Post by armando »

ChrisI wrote:...I don't upgrade manually to every new version, which is a security risk...
Why is it a security risk?
thewolfydragon

Post by thewolfydragon »

Hi

I would really like a updater built in the iron browser... or even if its an addon that you can add to the iron browser so that people who don't want it dont need it.

there is a third party person who has made a updater (connects straight to the iron browser download links) and you can set it up for when you want to check for updates. So I am sure that iron could just do the same thing meaning that there is no way of tracking users seeing it just checks the download link

users on other pages of the forum say that auto updating tracks you.. i have no idea how, as downloading it manually is the exact same. they BOTH go to the same link, and the server will still get your IP address on each time.

as the makers of this broswer made it for privacy reasons, i am SURE if they did have an autoupdater or people download manually, that they dont purposely track users! lol

the updater can be found via google, i would have put the link but im not sure im allowed, its a blog called geekyfreebies, search google "iron updater"

update there seems to be 2 sites with the same or similar updater.. the one on geekyfreebies works for portable versions if you change the link to the correct portable download link (right click on the portable download link and paste it in the updater)

just incase someone really needed it...

I recommend and install iron browser to family and friends when i repair their computers (if they wish me to after i say about the privacy)... however none of these will update! One family member has version 7 still, and now we are on version 23, and she doesn't know how to do the update (she cant use computers well)
mapx

Post by mapx »

GCG

Post by GCG »