New Iron-Version: 19.0.1100.0 Stable for Windows

Iron Forum for english speaking people

07U

Re: New Iron-Version: 19.0.1100.0 Stable for Windows

Post by 07U »

f0t0gr4fi4 wrote:Please visit a page with video
I can not see a video any more
in any page...
works on me, but i use obsolete flashplayer on C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\Plugins\
scorpioraj

Post by scorpioraj »

When installing the 19.0.1100.0 Iron Portable version,What is the best way to update to the current version? --- copy the latest version into the previous version so that it is overwritten or any other method?

Please suggest the best way to update the previous portable version to the existing version of 19.0.1100.0
oki88

Post by oki88 »

Running Iron v19 in single process mode, I can't login into any web site. The login mechanism is broken now... :( I have to use another browser just to login here and post this message...

All previous versions running in the same single process mode make login just fine (never had any problem before).

Is there any way to fix that???
mapx

Post by mapx »

The single process model provides a baseline for measuring any overhead that the multi-process architectures impose. It is not a safe or robust architecture, as any renderer crash will cause the loss of the entire browser process. It is designed for testing and development purposes, and it may contain bugs that are not present in the other architectures.

read also about single process mode:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5925 ... ocess-mode
oki88

Post by oki88 »

@mapx, thank you for the link.

From my personal experience I know that running Iron in single process mode is safe and stable. I run browser exclusively in that mode since middle of 2010. And I have not seen any problems with it related to safety and stability. So, for me explanation, that running browser in multi-process mode is required for safety and stability, is just a myth.

On the other hand - running Iron in multi-process mode (default) is a way more resource consuming experience, comparing to running it in single process mode. And BTW, if you run it in single-process mode, while executing browser's code, CPU doesn't need to switch its context between processes very often, making overall experience that it runs faster. Switching between threads is way faster than switching between processes. That's why multithreading is widely used - it's fast. Additionally, from the security stand point, one should always watch which processes are loaded in memory and executed all the time (or run antivirus programs on the background permanently, that will do the same, but make your computer run slow). I don't need antivirus programs running on the background all the time, because I have brief alert sound associated with event when new process is launched. It's very convenient and allows me to see what's going on. Now, imagine if browsers will start new processes every time I click on a link and open an new tab... And look at Task Manager when you open tens of tabs (it happens quite often with me)...

But again, the main two reasons why I always run Iron in single process mode are: less resource consumption and overall speed.

Now, it's pity to see how deteriorates that mode in the latest build. I found on the Internet post with similar complain here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27188385-
As you see with v19 now one has to choose between ability to login in web sites and to see browser's settings page. It's weird, indeed... This new bug is not present in v18 or any earlier versions of the browser.

I'd really like to see it just start working again... Not everyone wants to buy a new supercomputer just to be able to run a new web browser.
gergo

Post by gergo »

I discovered a small translation mistake in the Hungarian translation. I wonder if translations are the same in google chrome or iron has its own? Or its the chromium? I read on the chromium site that chromium and google chrome has a separate translator team.
So I wonder where can I fix this bug. Thanks
rburton74uk

Post by rburton74uk »

More problems with v19.0.1100.0 on Windows 7 64 bit! I've just tried to print a web page for the first time since upgrading from v18 and got the message that the PDF Viewer wasn't installed. :o

I searched this forum and found previous answers under v18 and v15 which advised to download the Portable version, unzip it and copy the PDF.dll file to the Iron folder because of lack of BSD license. Great :)

I've done that, but the pdf.dll does not exist in the current version of the Portable zip file that I downloaded from the start of the v19 thread... :? Please advise how to get around this now? :?
SRWare
Site Admin

Post by SRWare »

rburton74uk wrote:More problems with v19.0.1100.0 on Windows 7 64 bit! I've just tried to print a web page for the first time since upgrading from v18 and got the message that the PDF Viewer wasn't installed. :o

I searched this forum and found previous answers under v18 and v15 which advised to download the Portable version, unzip it and copy the PDF.dll file to the Iron folder because of lack of BSD license. Great :)

I've done that, but the pdf.dll does not exist in the current version of the Portable zip file that I downloaded from the start of the v19 thread... :? Please advise how to get around this now? :?
The pdf.dll exists now (and earlier) only in chrome because of licence reason - even if it works with iron, too
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
mapx

Post by mapx »

@oki88

you could try ask the chromium guys about single mode modality. That discussion was with a chromium developer

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list