Extensions and privacy

Iron Forum for english speaking people

irondude

Extensions and privacy

Post by irondude »

i have moved from Chrome to SRware Iron for privacy reasons.

Does this mean, to keep my privacy secure, I also need to not install any chrome extensions into Srware iron ?

What are the privacy implications of installing Chrome extensions on iron ?

If the answer depends on factors, what do i need to check to see if it is compromises my privacy or not?

thanks in advance
mapx

Re: Extensions and privacy

Post by mapx »

you can install the extensions without worrying about privacy
irondude

Post by irondude »

even if its from the chrome store?
bksening

Post by bksening »

Unfortunately, mapx, you are wrong. Iron browser itself offers no extra privacy protection from third party extensions. It just allows the same extension capabilities as built-in to Chromium. This applies to extensions from Chrome webstore, Iron extensions library, or any other site or third-party.

In general, extensions are written by third-party authors. They can do anything the extensions system allows them to do, including copying and sending offsite to other locations any info which you may give permission for the extension to access. Do you know exactly all the permissions your extensions run with? Do you understand the full implications of what those permissions could allow the extension to do? Not every extension will send your private data away, but you won't know if they do or not just by installing and running them.

In general, to keep your privacy secure, you cannot install any extensions at all. Or, you need to download/install the extension, read through all the extension source files from its install directory and see exactly what it is doing. Or, you can put your faith in nebulous unknown party forum contributors if they generally agree that so-and-so extension is safe or not. Or else, you are just shooting in the dark.
mapx

Post by mapx »

even.

it is only a store.
eventually dont use google extensions (made by them) if you want to be sure 100%
oki88

Post by oki88 »

100% sure about what?

The fact the Google wrote it means that it can add tracking functions, as it always does. That's the reason why we use Iron and not Chrome, isn't it?...

Extensions may track your browsing habits without revealing you anything. Moreover, even if you used to use some extension and you know it's safe, it doesn't mean that tomorrow it will not suddenly start its snooping activities. Why? It's because of auto-updating mechanism embedded into Chromium (the obvious security problem, created by design). Unless you manually change in Preferences file update URL for that extension to "update_url": "http://127.0.0.1" you'll never know when it could be updated and change its behavior. Good example (of bad things happened) is "Smooth Gestures" extension. At some point of time my installed v0.14.5 was updated to a new version that start spying on me... See e.g. this thread, discussing that issue: http://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments ... me_beware/

Bottom line - extensions are always potential threat to anyone's privacy. Install only those, that you know don't do it and then block auto-updating mechanism to be sure that its not replaced with something you don't want...