Cannot Set as Default in Linux Mint 12 Cinnamon

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Bugs318

Cannot Set as Default in Linux Mint 12 Cinnamon

Post by Bugs318 »

I cannot set Iron as default browser in Linux Mint 12 (with any desktop environment, though I am using Cinnamon primarily). If I select it as default on boot, it won't save the setting, and in the system settings gui Iron doesn't even appear as an option (though midori and firefox do).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Kevin S

Re: Cannot Set as Default in Linux Mint 12 Cinnamon

Post by Kevin S »

Is there a "Customize" option? If so, you can set Iron as the default browser by tracking down the file that starts Iron. Iron installs itself in the folder /usr/share/iron, and the file you need is called "iron."
mapx

Post by mapx »

perhaps you can follow the instructions for ubuntu (mint is ubuntu's brother)

http://www.ubuntuka.com/make-google-chr ... in-ubuntu/
Bugs318

Post by Bugs318 »

Thanks for the tip, though that dialogue box is how they were set in gnome 2, not 3. What I should stress is that the similar settings section for defaults in gnome 3 (system settings > system info > default applications) doesn't even give iron as an option. That is, it recognizes other software I have manually installed, but not iron.

As per some ideas elsewhere I have tried

Code: Select all

gedit ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list
Yet, that seems to have no effect (as the file was still in my home settings from before the upgrade and seems not to have any effect on Mint 12 with GNOME 3).

Has anyone else had this problem with iron? Perhaps I will post in the Mint and GNOME forums as well, but I will bring any discovered solution back here.