Win XP Default Browser, Yes I searched

Iron Forum for english speaking people

dawg

Win XP Default Browser, Yes I searched

Post by dawg »

I did as posted http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... ser#p11761

It seems to work as long as you are logged in as an admin. But like good user, I log in as a limited user and it says every where I look that Iron is the default browser but I still get asked by Iron every time it is launched and when I click links in Thunderbird. Yes I changed program settings in Thunderbird. It still opens FireFox instead of Iron.

Is XP not supported?

I use many programs that would require me to buy Win 7 Ultimate for the XP Mode. And Yes I have tried Linux with WINE and the programs run until I open a file that is a large one and it all crashes.

Please tell me that my 6yr old rock solid Sony Vaio SZ 330P is still good.

Thanks in Advance
mapx

Re: Win XP Default Browser, Yes I searched

Post by mapx »

there is an extension for thunderbird you can install which permit you to choose the program you want to use for default for every type of file
dawg

Post by dawg »

Thanks, I'll look into it.

thunderbird already has an option to choose what the default program is to open certain files. I have chosen Iron, but I think Win XP over rides this thunderbird choice.

I have tried what has been suggested and it works when I log in as an admin but when I log in as a limited user Iron still asks if I want to make Iron the default browser.

Seems XP is not being supported much anymore. That is a good way to keep users buying with recurring purchases for Operating systems that are crap (linux and mac included).
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

This is what I use. Small, easy to use, and bypasses the confusing Microsoft system of choosing from the "Start>Set Programs Access and Defaults'.
It is for browsers only. Don't expect it to set an email client.
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/setbrowser/
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

READ the statements on that page. It will do the job, but it is 'old'! And you probably need to look at the WinXP settings closer, in concert with the Iron setting.
dawg

Post by dawg »

It don't work..................It only works if I log in as an Administrator. Logging in as a limited user does not see the default browser change.

and I'm no dolt either. I've programmed in php and VB, build systems since 1990, my first was an i386 16mhz, 4 mb ram 105 mb scsi hd 14" NEX multisync color monitor.........................It is pretty sad that Win XP can win over this browser.

How come the FireFox guys can figure this out??
iq001

Post by iq001 »

Just login under user account & run iron.exe under admin account. And click a bottom "Set Iron to default..." in settings. I'm using XP - it's working. But ussually if Iron default in admin account it's set to default in all other accounts too.