Iron Syncronization

Iron Forum for english speaking people

prr

Iron Syncronization

Post by prr »

I love the idea of storing my browser settings online, so I'd like to try it. However, I had a bad experience with Chrome when doing this, and didn't get much assistance.

What happened last week with Chrome was that I had Chrome set up just the way I want it. I signed in to Chrome (what Chrome calls this service), and all of a sudden my browser had a bunch of old bookmarks that I must have saved onto this service, before.

1. If I do this Iron sync, Google won't shove all my old Chrome bookmarks onto this browser, will it?
2. If I do this (it would be for the first time with Iron), all that will happen will be that my current browser settings get saved, right? Or will any data get transferred from my Google account, onto this configuration of Iron?
3. At what point do you get to pick whether you want to upload (save) your browser data, or download your previuosly-saved browser data, in the Iron sync service?
mapx

Re: Iron Syncronization

Post by mapx »

if you dont want to have the old things into iron, you could delete all your saved sync data:

http://www.google.com/dashboard ( ==> chrome sync - Stop sync and delete data from Google)

then sync your iron to your google account

"Any changes you make to your browser settings will be synced to the Google Account you've used to sign in to Chrome. Changes you make on one computer are automatically reflected on the other computers where you're signed in and have enabled sync."
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/an ... wer=165139
prr

Post by prr »

mapx wrote:if you dont want to have the old things into iron, you could delete all your saved sync data:

http://www.google.com/dashboard ( ==> chrome sync - Stop sync and delete data from Google)

then sync your iron to your google account
OK, thanks for the link. I went ahead and deleted my Chrome data, and then synced Iron. I haven't yet seen Iron in that Google Dashboard, tho (not sure if it will show up there or not).
mapx wrote: Any changes you make to your browser settings will be synced to the Google Account you've used to sign in to Chrome. Changes you make on one computer are automatically reflected on the other computers where you're signed in and have enabled sync."
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/an ... wer=165139
OK, so I see that syncing Iron will actually do that--sync--instead of replacing the settings.

So I see what I need to do then, is every time I want to use Iron sync to backup my Iron settings, go in and delete the old setup via Google, and then sync it again.

Will in fact Iron show up in my Dashboard? If not, how then can I delete my Iron settings?
mapx

Post by mapx »

you dont need delete the sync data every time.

If you will change something on the pc 1 (iron - at home), you will have the same settings on the pc 2 (chrome - at job - with sync on). If you will change something on pc 2 you will have the same on the pc 1 (with sync on).

You will not see iron section or chrome section, there is only one set of settings saved into your google account.
prr

Post by prr »

OK, I see in my Dashboard then, that even though it says "Chrome," it is really my Iron settings. I proved this to myself by opening up Chrome, and then signing in to Chrome. It put all my bookmarks from the last few days--that is, my Iron settings--onto Chrome.

I noticed, however, that it didn't delete anything that was already on Chrome, so if I were to want to truly sync the two browsers, I'd have to turn Chrome to its default settings (uninstall first, maybe?), and then sign in.

OK thanks for explaining this. I'll go ahead and delete the old settings every time I make a new backup.
mapx wrote:you dont need delete the sync data every time.

If you will change something on the pc 1 (iron - at home), you will have the same settings on the pc 2 (chrome - at job - with sync on). If you will change something on pc 2 you will have the same on the pc 1 (with sync on).

You will not see iron section or chrome section, there is only one set of settings saved into your google account.