"New Tab" Improvement Suggestion

Iron Forum for english speaking people

testifix

"New Tab" Improvement Suggestion

Post by testifix »

Dear Administrators,

In the recent version of Iron for Mac (v. 15.0.900.2), the "New Tab" design has been altered. I would like to provide you feedback on this change as in my opinion it has worsened the page, rather than improved it. I would also like to suggest, how the page could be improved by only slightly changing it.

My main point of critique is the amount of precious screen space that is wasted. I am running Iron on a 13" MacBook Air, and often use Iron on half of my screen. When I open a new tab, this looks as in the picture inserted below:

As you can see, the thumbnails of the favorite websites have been rescaled (made smaller), although on the left ant of the thumbnails there is lots of space that could be filled. Almost 2/3 of the Iron-Space is white/empty - and at the same time Iron forces me to scroll down to find my mini-favourite thumbnails.

Tackling this issue, I would suggest that the margins on the side are reduced to a minimum, so that more and larger thumbnails than in my picture can fill the gained space.

Furthermore, with the altered "New Tab" site, a bar on the bottom has been added, and an arrow on the right side that allows for a quick jump to "Apps". First, I'd find it consistent, if the "Recently Closed" tabs would be next to "Often most frequently" on the bar and trigger a similar thumbnail preview for the recently closed pages. Second, it would be great if it was possible to deactivate the "Apps" arrow on the right of the thumbnails, and also remove the "Apps" button on the bar on the bottom of the page. This would remove unnecessary items for users not needing it.

In short, in my opinion the altered "New Tab" page introduces features some people do not need, on the other hand wastes lots of available space which causes thumbnails to be small and not to fit on one page.

I suggest, that the margins on the side are reduced, so that thumbnails can be larger and fit one page. Second, I would welcome if the user was given the choice what he or she wants to display on the "New Tab" page, in particular if he or she wants to deactivate the arrow "Apps" on the right of the thumbnails (and rather use this space for thumbnails), and if the apps shall be listed on the menu bar on the bottom of the "New Tab" page. Finally, I recommend that the "Closed Recently" button on this menu bar is put next to the buttons "Visited most frequently" and that would trigger a thumbnail preview for the most recently closed websites.

I hope my comments help you to improve your great browser further. Any questions or unclarities - I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Best,
Testifix
SunStar73

Re: "New Tab" Improvement Suggestion

Post by SunStar73 »

I totally agree.