A couple suggestions/requests.

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Typo

A couple suggestions/requests.

Post by Typo »

First, thanks for an awesome program. I do have a couple things that I am sure other people would LOVE to see.

1) It would be great to have automatic updating, or even updating available from in the browser such as normal chrome does.

2) Right now, when I go to update (otherwise known as installing it again) iron, it overwrites the adblock.ini and I have to find and edit the file again with the one off the internet. Perhaps an option in the installer that checks for existing installs and then offers to preserve that or perhaps just check for it and dont overwrite it. It would make sense to overwrite it except that your doing it with a blank one which is essentially useless.

Thanks!

Jeremy
aka
Typo
ironuser

Re: A couple suggestions/requests.

Post by ironuser »

with regard to:
1) - Iron is made from something called chromium, the source code basis for Google chrome. IRON is ntoot developed by SRWare, and they do not add to the source code. What they do is remove most or all of the intrusive and tracking things that make Google Chrome, well uh, Google chrome.

2) - This is known, and something a lot of Iron users have griped about.
But, if you would search back in these forum posts, you will find a couple of small javascript or windows vbs file that you can put ion your desktop, and click after each update. In fact if you are using fanboy's adblock list, it is updated almost daily, and the script will let you update as often as you want. If you can't find them, I can post what I use, but I'd rather you use something that I haven't cobbled to meet my needs.
ironuser

Re: A couple suggestions/requests.

Post by ironuser »

I forgot to add about #2 is that the adblock.ini is part of the install, and the folks at SRWare don't especially know where your 'profile' folder is. I know mine is not in the "default'" profile area of my computer files.
Also, It is not inconceivable that you can't make a COPY of it before you update!

PS: I use that script I mentioned in my other post three or more times a week just to keep my list up to date.