Newer Iron features, what are these?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

RWUK

Newer Iron features, what are these?

Post by RWUK »

In Preferences - Under the Hood, down at the bottom, there's an option to keep background apps running when Iron is closed

and Content Settings - Handlers. I can either have sites ask to be the default for handling protocols or not.

What do these options do?
ironuser

Re: Newer Iron features, what are these?

Post by ironuser »

RWUK wrote:In Preferences - Under the Hood, down at the bottom, there's an option to keep background apps running when Iron is closed

and Content Settings - Handlers. I can either have sites ask to be the default for handling protocols or not.

What do these options do?
I was hoping SRWare would answer this.
I keep the background thing unchecked. If you are curious, check it, and see what is left running in the background after Iron is closed out. Probably in the Task Manager.
The handlers can also be white or black listed. Since Iron does not offer a 'Recommendation', I don't allow it.

Still hoping SRWare provides an answer that explains this more thoroughly.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Read this regarding Protochol Handlers>>>> http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bi ... er=1382847
Here is a search page for 'Protochol Handlers'>> http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&sour ... l+handlers
I haven't found anything regarding the background apps thing.
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

Thanks Ironuser.

About background apps, here is some info.
http://blog.chromium.org/2011/02/amping ... ature.html

Seems like more and more abilities from other programs and the OS itself are becoming integrated into the browser. I'm not too sure I like that. I suppose as Chromium and Chrome move towards becoming more tightly knit into Chrome OS, Iron will either follow suit or choose to fork out further on its own. I'm happy the Iron devs chose to delay Native Client support though.
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

Also, 65 views and only you and I are replying, Ironuser. Hopefully, it's not because all those other (presumably) users of Iron don't know themselves what these features are for. :shock: Both background apps and protocol handlers are enabled by default.
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

@ RWUK - In my case, you're right on it. But, when I dont know what a new fonctionality does I disable it until I get the information about it.

Thanks to both for the info :)
megaman

Post by megaman »

RWUK wrote:Also, 65 views and only you and I are replying, Ironuser. Hopefully, it's not because all those other (presumably) users of Iron don't know themselves what these features are for. :shock: Both background apps and protocol handlers are enabled by default.
Low on users, sure, but we don't have to reply, whether we know about it or not.
If Iron still loads up pretty fast, with the feature off, I don't rely on it...off.

Besides, I don't have any program that needs to continue running n the background. I don't speak for everyone, so it's different by the user.
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

@megaman, From what I read, no Chromium service needs[/] to keep running in the background when the browser is closed. These new background apps are all convenience sorta features for mail, calendar, weather, stock tickers and so on. While I can understand that, I personally don't need any of it and have the view that more services is just more vulnerability. This especially if those are unnecessary services. I side with the general notion I get from reading this forum in that if I'm unsure on something, it's usually disabled or removed until research proves I should change that. :)