How to stop A pop up??

Iron Forum for english speaking people

hulland

How to stop A pop up??

Post by hulland »

Whenever I visit Russian sites Iron allows a pop up of NEWSKEY to completely fill the page. I cannot get rid of it even by closing, purging the cookies and re-starting--HELP???
megaman

Re: How to stop A pop up??

Post by megaman »

To be frank pop-up blockers aren't 100% accurate, so some slip.

Make sure that you have the settings in Options to block "Phising and malware."

Also, install an advertising blocking program, for Chromiums I recommend AdBlock, don't confuse it with AdBlock+ for Chrome.

Also, try Ghostery, if it can prevent some sites from tracking you, some pop-ups will prevent from displaying.

Also, what's an example site that you are visiting?
hulland

Post by hulland »

Thanks for that prompt reply.

I didn't spot the anti-phishing setting--I ticked it and will see what happens as I am allergic to the Yankee terrible fear of nasties--most of the time I rely on av and clear cookies etc every 5 mins.

thanks again.
megaman

Post by megaman »

Tested on Palemoon with Ghostery and Adblock+

Tested on Iron with the only extension that is protecting my browser is Ghostery.

Other than that, I only saw a green pop-up that is linked to the site, so it's not bad pop-up, or it could be.

From the looks of it, I think you have a virus/spyware problem.

Scan your computer with the virus scanner and get an anti-spyware program, I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware, but it's your choice on what to get. If you do go with my choice, a simple Deep Scan will find the culprits and allow you to eliminate them. :)
megaman

Post by megaman »

Edit: I can't edit here, so I had to make a new post.

I just simply click on an image, in both browsers, and I got just 1 pop-up, very clever. After that, it was just smooth sailing without any more, unless you can describe everything you did on that site to see if I might stumble into more.
hulland

Post by hulland »

Generally I browse the site daily. I start at page 1--after logging in - --wondered if that made a difference-it does NOT--generally there are 8 pages added per day on average.

-I browse page 1,2,3 by page three I get the entire page from the Russian news site Linkskey or whatever, it does not pop up as such, it TAKES THE PLACE. If I hit the BACK button I get back to page 2-NOT page3 - page 3 is unobtainable , there is no FORWARD button.

If I close Iron, clear cookies, and re-load it loads page 3 then IMMEDIATELY in a flash, reverts to Linkskey. It is not a POPUNDER, I simply have to leave the site and try another day.

Yes, there is an initial pop up that opens in a new tab that is easily closed by the mouse --welcome to my private diary _.

This newskey thing is a real PITA, as it actually PREVENTS me from browsing the site. Perhaps they have been hacked by a competitor, but this site has been around since about 1979, and they DO have many enemies I know.....shame.
megaman

Post by megaman »

hulland wrote:-I browse page 1,2,3 by page three I get the entire page from the Russian news site Linkskey or whatever, it does not pop up as such, it TAKES THE PLACE. If I hit the BACK button I get back to page 2-NOT page3 - page 3 is unobtainable , there is no FORWARD button.

I am sorry, but I can't reproduce the problem. I get to page 5 on Iron and Pale Moon without an issue or redirect, it could be having an account with that site because I didn't intend to make one to tally if that's the culprit. Also, since I don't have and ad-blocking program on Iron, I guess Ghostery is keeping that other site at bay.

Is there someone else that can takeover on this situation, because the first thing I hate is the "It works fine for me," but that is just one person saying that, it could happen to many other users.
Igoreso

Post by Igoreso »

Try this bookmarklet. Save it as a site shortcut in Iron (or Chrome) and press it to close always-on-top-pop-ups. Works on this forum too.

Code: Select all

javascript:void(a=document.getElementsByTagName('*'));for(i=0;i<a.length;++i)if(a[i].style.position=='absolute'||a[i].style.position=='fixed')void(a[i].style.display='none');
hulland

Post by hulland »

Thanks for the bookmarklet--I clicked it as I entered the site and managed to get to page 10 without the intrusion. Not sure if it was the bookmarklet or if the pop up just went away, but thanks anyway.