Extension/Addon Privacy Concern

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Gaeone

Extension/Addon Privacy Concern

Post by Gaeone »

Hi,

Today is the first day I heard of Iron browser and trying it for the first time.

I've been using Chrome since day one and quite happy with it as it's faster than other browsers. But lately it's getting slower and sluggish in rendering pages and freezes often causing me to start thinking of getting a better browser but can't find any better one to switch to. Then by chance someone mentions Iron to me and I thought why not.

My first impression is good, then I run a test and compare its speed with Chrome. I'm not a techy guy and don't know anything about any kind of real speed test for browser, so I use a very crude and manual method. :lol:

I just open the 2 browsers side by side and click the same sites bookmarked on them and see which one open first. I clicked on the Chrome first, then Iron in split seconds later and found out Iron is actually faster than Chrome sometimes. :ironvschrome :D

Anyway, I have some questions that are not really related to Iron per se, but something to do with privacy.
I have installed some extensions in Chrome and loved some of them. One of my favorite is Click & Clean: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... h&hcp=main

It's a great extension but the problem is it can access user's data on all websites, tabs and browsing activity, all data on your computer and the websites you visit.

According to Google: Caution: NPAPI plug-ins can do almost anything, in or outside of your browser. For example, they could use your webcam, or they could read your personal files.

My questons:

1. Does that mean the extension can gain access to all my passwords on all websites when I login to them?

2. What about the passwords saved in LastPass extension? Can it access that too?

3. Can it access all my files in my computer, even download and alter them?

4. Is it safe and advisable to install them on Iron?

...... not sure if this is the right forum to ask these questions.

Thanks in advance. :)

:ironvschrome
Igoreso

Re: Extension/Addon Privacy Concern

Post by Igoreso »

Gaeone wrote:it can access user's data on all websites, tabs and browsing activity, all data on your computer and the websites you visit.
It's written that extensions CAN do so, but these broad permissions are given to extension so it can work properly. Don't worry, none of them will actually do something bad.
megaman

Post by megaman »

Gaeone has the extensions part covered.

Now, the browser being sluggish and slow is merely because you have to clean Junk files, maybe even fix the Registry, but mostly because you need to defragment your computer. The browsers shouldn't have those issues severely, it's merely your net that can also throttle the rendering speed of the browsers.

Suggestion: Junk-file cleaner, registry cleaner, and defrag.

Other than that, WELCOME TO IRON! :)
Gaeone

Post by Gaeone »

Thanks Ironers for the replies. Appreciate it.
bulek

Post by bulek »

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. It is always a matter of trust whatever application you install on your PC. Antivirus could also see, send, alter any data on your disk... is it safe to use it ;)? You can only judge by vendor image on the web, software popularity, reviews.