Improving Iron

Iron Forum for english speaking people

solarstone2149

Improving Iron

Post by solarstone2149 »

hello to devs (I hope)

I am Opera user, and I liked and used this browser since 1998, but it really started to suck lately for reasons I don't wish to argue here.
but this thread is more my view on what Opera has and makes it unique, but as I find Iron more better now, that Iron could have simmiliar things...

firstly, I assume most of people are now in knowledge what "speed dia"l is, Opera browser introduced this and obviously other started to mimic this,
Iron has something simmiliar but I find it quite useless, and it is a start page with "recently viewed" or "recently closed" pages

I find this
1. privacy killer, as to why would anyone want to have a reminder what pages he or she viewed last time or even closed...
instead of this I'd rather to see Iron have a quick launch of favorite web pages, this would even make clutter of bookmark bar go away
and yet user would have big thumbnails with better view on what pages he wants to get fast to and better sorted (in short its Operas speed dial :mrgreen: )

another thing which I'd like to see in Iron is a bit more customisation of UI, yes I know it is minimalistic browser, but it wouldn't hurt that user can
decide to have for example Google/whatever search bar side by side with main address bar, or even quick search bar too, or even to be able to add few
buttons on the same toolbar where addressbar is, buttons such as + - or fullscreen for zooms, instead to constantly either go to settings menu and click
or using ctrl+

and 3rd thing I'd like to say, is maybe make download manager more cleaner and less intrussive
again I have to reffer to Opera here, which gets all downloads opened in 1 Download tab and thats it
thile Iron has it all minimised down in some sort of tray

I don't know how much developers are into adding or improving stuff, or are they more to just add new chrome engine with privacy
but it would be realy nice to make Iron a bit different - which I mean better than regular chrome, perhaps little user friendly
otherwise I find it great browser to be

and no I don't with to have flamewar on browsers here...
these were merely some suggestions
solarstone2149

Re: Improving Iron

Post by solarstone2149 »

another thing I forgot to mention
(and I don't see edit button, so forgive me)

is in Iron when user hovers over a link or java script link
the popup comes out on left bottom, which also destroys they idea of clean screen for enjoying the web
this issue could be also tweaked by developers
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

You need to realize that Iron is Google Chrome (Chromium) with most of the Google 'insecurities' removed, the things that make Chrome somewhat of a security risk, and very little done to enhance it. In fact, I doubt the Iron 'developers really want to get into re-programming it. I may be wrong.
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srwar ... s_iron.php
solarstone2149

Post by solarstone2149 »

doesn't hurt to try and post thoughts/suggestions :mrgreen: