Plugin: SRware iron

Iron Forum for english speaking people

discs

Plugin: SRware iron

Post by discs »

Thank you for SRware iron. I am now using it as my default browser; in fact it is the only browser installed on our new systems (apart from the pre-installed IE for emergencies).

After downloading Iron I notice that there are only 2 plugins: the Default plugin, and Google Gears.

I have read that Chrome has a built in flash plugin; Adobe advise that this built in plugin should be used.

Does Iron chrome exclude the built in flash plugin? Do I have to myself download the separate flash plugin offered by Adobe?

Thanks for your help.
ironuser

Re: Plugin: SRware iron

Post by ironuser »

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that plugin is one of the things the SRWare folks take out of Iron.
You can download Adobe Flash from here. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect
Personally, I would go out of my way to NOT enable the Google version, and download and install the Adobe version, which I do anyway for other browsers.

BTW, there is a 'TECH NOTE' in the upper text in that link explaining the differences between Google's version and the 'regular' version.
bulek

Post by bulek »

Iron is based on open source project called Chromium. Google Chrome is also based on Chromium. Google and Adobe signed an agrement to provide integrated Flash plugin for Chrome (only). This gives some benefits comparing to the normal Flash player - updated automatically with Chrome, better perfromance and security. Neither Chromium nor Iron can legally use this plugin because of the agreement. Some people simply copy plugin files from Chrome to Iron and the integrated Flash works as expected. This however is not covered by Iron license if you docare of the legal side of using it.
discs

Post by discs »

Hi again,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back; just didn't realise I had to subscribe to the thread, so didn't realise you had responded!

But really thanks for those clear replies explaining things; it did explain things for me. Interesting, the legal angle intruding so into the open source environment!

I now have the flash plug-in. New discovery for me was that if I 'Block All' plugins under options, the Adobe flash plug-in can be enabled on the fly by a right click (on the video saying something like no plugin installed). Neat, I thought.

Thanks again.