adblock.ini Linux

Iron Forum for english speaking people

anitac

adblock.ini Linux

Post by anitac »

Using Linux Mint 10 64-bit I downloaded and extracted Iron to the Desktop. In opt/adblock.ini I created adblock.ini using gedit. Attempting to open Iron resulted in a white flash (as if Iron was just about to open but something prevented it). Once I removed the adblock.ini folder (removing the adblock.ini file was not enough) I could open Iron but all my tabs from the last session did not open.

Will someone help to get adblock.ini to work, please?
deVars

Re: adblock.ini Linux

Post by deVars »

anitac wrote:Using Linux Mint 10 64-bit I downloaded and extracted Iron to the Desktop. In opt/adblock.ini I created adblock.ini using gedit. Attempting to open Iron resulted in a white flash (as if Iron was just about to open but something prevented it). Once I removed the adblock.ini folder (removing the adblock.ini file was not enough) I could open Iron but all my tabs from the last session did not open.

Hi anitac,
Are you sure adblock.ini is in the right place?
You need to put adblock.ini in '/opt/' not 'opt/' (i.e opt directory from the root)
I think the white flash meant that it ran, but it had to close for an unfortunate reason, and so your last, last session was overriden by that quick run-and-close event.
anitac

Post by anitac »

I must have misread a post because I was creating a folder in /opt called adblock.ini and placing the file there. For whatever reason, that was causing SRWare Iron not to open.

I had tried placing the file directly in /opt first but, while SRWare Iron opened, it did not block ads.

Looked into it again and realised that only root had permissions to access the file. Now that I have given Others read-only access, ads are being blocked!

Thank you for the reply, deVars.
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

anitac wrote:Using Linux Mint 10 64-bit I downloaded and extracted Iron to the Desktop. In opt/adblock.ini I created adblock.ini using gedit. Attempting to open Iron resulted in a white flash (as if Iron was just about to open but something prevented it). Once I removed the adblock.ini folder (removing the adblock.ini file was not enough) I could open Iron but all my tabs from the last session did not open.

I always thought the adblock was working from the start when the wrapper script was run. When creating the gedit file manually, what do you place in the text file?
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

Please disregard my last post, total dead brain moment! :lol:

Anyway, my problem is now similar to yours in that placing adblock.ini in /opt doesn't allow iron to start. Though unlike your situation, I don't even see a white flash. Nothing happens at all when I try to start Iron.

Permissions for the adblock file set as root or as my user name do not make a difference, Iron won't open. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

Got this figured out finally. I had to create a new file in /opt, then paste in the contents rather than downloading it to the desktop and pasting the file into the folder. Works fine now.