Open certain file types automatically

Iron Forum for english speaking people

Phonemes

Open certain file types automatically

Post by Phonemes »

Hi all,

In the latest version of Iron, under options - advanced options - downloads, there is a sentence stating that I have chosen to automatically open certain fyle types. However, the box under this is greyed out. I suppose from there I would probably be able to view the settings for this. (I would like to instruct Iron to open pdf's in my standard reader.) Does anyone know why this is greyed out and how to remedy this?

Thank you
renegade

Re: Open certain file types automatically

Post by renegade »

hi, any news on this?
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Has anyone got a recent install of Chrome? It would be interesting to see if it 'grayed' out that setting, or if it is just a Iron thing.
I don't remember what files exactly at the moment, but there have been times I clicked no something and it downloaded a file that I did not expect it to.
AND I HAVE TO SAY, I WAS PISSED!
So, SRWare devs! What gives?
SRWare
Site Admin

Post by SRWare »

ironuser wrote:Has anyone got a recent install of Chrome? It would be interesting to see if it 'grayed' out that setting, or if it is just a Iron thing.
I don't remember what files exactly at the moment, but there have been times I clicked no something and it downloaded a file that I did not expect it to.
AND I HAVE TO SAY, I WAS PISSED!
So, SRWare devs! What gives?
This is also greyed out in chrome
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
bulek

Post by bulek »

Gee... calm down... google fault, srware fault... what's wrong with you?

This option works as follows. When you download a file e.g. PDF you can see it in the bottom downloads bar. You can expand the download menu (by clicking on the downloaded file menu) and select option "automatically open files of this type" (or similar since I don't remember). If you do that any new PDF file will be opened automatically. The option "You have chosen to open certain file types automatically after downloading" will not be greyed out anymore. You can then click on button "clear auto-opening settings" to forget all your previously stored file types that were supposed to be automatically open.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

OK, that makes a crazy sort of sense I guess. Having to do something that is not very well documented.
But, it doesn't explain why the chromium devs apparently fell there are 'file types' we need without asking for them.
It still ticks me off when some programmer thinks I ought to 'toe his line' and have to get an answer to a question like this via a forum, when it should be a lot more apparent in the dialogs.
SO, that said, which one of the file in the profile or install folder hold the 'Open certain file types automatically' information?