Many Chrome extensions or add-ins track you

Iron Forum for english speaking people

jazluvr

Many Chrome extensions or add-ins track you

Post by jazluvr »

I have been seeing quite a few posts asking for chrome extensions for iron. Let me show you something.
I just tried to install chromes adblock in iron, and i got a pop-up saying...

install adblock?

This extension can access:
Your data on all websites
Your browsing history

This is true for many of chromes add-ons. Mostly because they are connected to a server and auto-update. But if you don't mind your very basic privacy rights violated, feel free to use them. Personally i despise chrome and google and use neither. and i get dismayed when i see requests from people for chrome/google add-ons, which will water down and degrade what was shaping up to be a great browser.

As the new version of chrome came out and took away the "ask me cookie function," Iron followed suite. i will stick with the latest working version that supports this ask me function. I am petitioning SRWare to bring back that function. In 2 days, they rewrote the code to accomodate a user that wanted 12 thumbnails instead of 8...
18.02.2011 - Update to 9.0.600.2
Changed Thumbnails on "NewTab-Page" from 8 to 12.

Now i find it very hard to believe if they can fix that, but they can't give back the cookie "ask me function". SRWare, please, please give us back that ask me option.
ironuser

Re: Many Chrome extensions or add-ins track you

Post by ironuser »

jazluvr wrote:I have been seeing quite a few posts asking for chrome extensions for iron. Let me show you something.

install adblock?

Your browsing history
This is what adblock extensions do! they need to 'see' the page data to determine what to to block
jazluvr wrote:As the new version of chrome came out and took away the "ask me cookie function," Iron followed suite. i will stick with the latest working version that supports this ask me function. I am petitioning SRWare to bring back that function. In 2 days, they rewrote the code to accomodate a user that wanted 12 thumbnails instead of 8...
18.02.2011 - Update to 9.0.600.2
Changed Thumbnails on "NewTab-Page" from 8 to 12.

Now i find it very hard to believe if they can fix that, but they can't give back the cookie "ask me function". SRWare, please, please give us back that ask me option.
Changing a number in a few lines of code is a hell of a lot easier than trying to recreate old code that will work with all of the new code. I think I can find you the Chrome code if you want to try!

Or maybe you would just be happier with another browser! Maybe Safari? http://www.apple.com/safari/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)
New features in Safari 5
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
Safari 5 includes the following new features:
Full-text search through the browser history[39]
Safari Reader, which removes formatting and ads from webpages.[40]
Smarter address field, where the address bar autocomplete will match against titles of web page in history or bookmarks.
Extensions, which are add-ons that customize the web browsing experience.[41]
Improved support for HTML5, including full screen video, closed caption, geolocation, EventSource, and WebSocket.
Improved Web Inspector.
Faster Nitro Javascript Engine.
DNS prefetching, where Safari finds links and looks up addresses on the web page ahead of time.
Bing search
Improved graphics hardware acceleration on Windows.
Additionally, the blue inline progress bar has returned to the address bar, in addition to the spinning bezel and loading indicator introduced in Safari 4. Top Sites view now has a button to switch to Full History Search. Other features include Extension builder for developers of Safari Extensions, which are built using web standards such as HTML5, CSS3, and Javascript.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

jazluvr wrote:I have been seeing quite a few posts asking for chrome extensions for iron. Let me show you something.

install adblock?

Your browsing history
ironuser wrote:This is what adblock extensions do! they need to 'see' the page data to determine what to to block
Lol... thank you for validating my post. That's why i use fanboys adblocker list (via adblock_update.js). They don't track me! And that's why i don't use any chrome related extension that does! That's why i love Iron! :ironvsff :ironvsopera :ironvssafari

ironuser wrote: Or maybe you would just be happier with another browser! Maybe Safari?

No , i would not be happier with another browser, i like iron, thank you very little. Safari? Can't afford it. I'll stick with my Monte Carlo... ;)
Oaken

Post by Oaken »

I'm a new Iron user and would also like to have the "Ask Me Cookie Function", it being one of the few features which kept me clinging to Firefox for so long. :)
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Oaken wrote:I'm a new Iron user and would also like to have the "Ask Me Cookie Function", it being one of the few features which kept me clinging to Firefox for so long. :)
Yeah, it makes Iron the best of all browsers. I think it's the best anyway, but with the cookie prompt, it blows the others browser right out of the water! Did you see the new chart the admin posted of the latest build? Dam...Safari really sucks...lol. As good as FF might be, it's painfully slow compared to iron.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

In case it is of interest to you, the following is the UA (User Agent) string for Iron in another PHP Forum that allow UA strings.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Iron/9.0.600.2 Chrome/9.0.600.2 Safari/534.13
Still think Iron is only Chrome with some Google crap removed? Notice Webkit, Gecko, and Safari. That same UA would show up if posted with Chrome, without the Iron version in the middle.