Phishing & malware protection, again.

Iron Forum for english speaking people

RWUK

Phishing & malware protection, again.

Post by RWUK »

What, where and who does this setting allow connections to?

I'm assuming checking this setting allows the browser to check the ip of a site you're visiting to a known list of blacklisted sites. Who possesses and maintains this list and what other information besides the requested ip is sent and/or visible to the list holder(s)?

I've searched the forum here but all I have found regarding this is one post by a user who was detecting outbound connections to Google servers (did not mention if this was DNS or otherwise) but it was not described in any more depth so it's hard to tell if this was Iron directly or something else.
RWUK

Re: Phishing & malware protection, again.

Post by RWUK »

Forgot to mention, thanks in advance for any answers.
bulek

Post by bulek »

swoyara

Post by swoyara »

What is your favorite free anti malware and anti virus software? I have been using Malwarebytes, which works great until a while ago. Now, when I attempt to update it, it gives me an error. What is your favorite anti malware software that removes alot of virus?
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Here is a list that one of the Moderators in the Mozillazine forums uses. She is a computer tech, and seems to rely on them for part of her job.

The two best right now are:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SuperAntispyware

And I use these to do cleanup after running the first two.
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy
megaman

Post by megaman »

For antivirus I use avast!
Based on my tests, avast! did show it's true potential to be my favorite of choice.
I am not you, so I can't recommend it, but I do recommend Avira, Panda Cloud, Bitdefender Free, or ThreatFire. (Only install one of those)

Based on ironuser, his suggestions are for antispyware.
You can have 3: AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Malwarebytes; or just simply get 1 called Emsisoft's Anti-Malware(Freeware version).
I haven't used Super Anti-Spyware in a long time but it ranked almost to be an equivalent to Spybot and AdAware combined.
This is just based on my tests, although you decide since they are all free to use. :)