New Iron user, love it but have some questions.

Iron Forum for english speaking people

RWUK

New Iron user, love it but have some questions.

Post by RWUK »

I've been using Iron portable for about a month now and it's great. Super fast, looks good and works with many sites Opera 11 doesn't. I want to start using a proxy server though so my ip is masked. Tor slows things down too much and negates the speed difference between Iron and Firefox (Tor's bundled browser) but would anyone know of alternatives? Ideally I'd not like to install an actual application, just configure the proxy settings in my browser. Is this possible? I've searched the internet like crazy and while I can find some pay for programs (and places like The Cloak and Proxify), finding user experiences of this proxy software is very hard to do. Since this seems like a pretty privacy & security minded forum, I wanted to ask here.

Also, does incognito mode cache all page data to RAM? I've not been able to find a solid answer regarding any Chromium based browser for this.

Thanks in advance.
ironuser

Re: New Iron user, love it but have some questions.

Post by ironuser »

Have you ran across privoxy? It may do what you are asking for.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c ... &q=privoxy

As far as I know, Iron in incognito mode saves very little to disk, ram or any other place.
This is what is displayed on a new tab open in Iron's incognito mode. So judge for yourself.
You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close the incognito window. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.

Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:
Websites that collect or share information about you
Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
Surveillance by secret agents
People standing behind you
Learn more about incognito browsing.
Because SRWare Iron does not control how extensions handle your personal data, all extensions have been disabled for incognito windows. You can reenable them individually in the extensions manager.
mapx

Post by mapx »

to navigate anonimously you'll pay the price of lower speed.

you can test "ultrasurf" (launch it and it will pick up a proxy server and modify the internet settings automatically)

http://www.ultrareach.com/downloads/ultrasurf/u1004.zip
RWUK

Post by RWUK »

I have tried Privoxy and despite the name, does not actually hide your ip. It says this somewhere in the site which I don't quite understand because it gives specific situations of a user who may want to get around a network firewall yet as far as I know, if the ip is not changed this isn't possible unless by backdoor access. Privoxy is more of an advanced ad blocker it seems but the website says it has more uses than that. I had it installed and in looking up my ip, it was the same as without the program and I already have Adthwart and Better Popup Blocker so I didn't notice any changes.

Ultrasurf works perfectly, (Danke schön!) once the Internet Explorer default stuff is deselected. It's a 1.2mb zip with an exe and ini, I love programs like this. It doesn't slow things nearly as much as Tor, more like just going from home to a small cafe with wifi access. Certainly more than just bearable.

I wouldn't have a problem starting Iron in incognito by a command line switch but I've found the Chrome Speed Dial extension doesn't work in incognito. I currently have Iron's disk and media cache just set to 1. It'd be amazing if caching solely to RAM was offered in some version of Chromium but we're on v10 now and I think if it was going to happen, it'd have been done already.
bulek

Post by bulek »

All these super-anonymous-security-privacy proxies looks great... both commercial and free. What I am afraid of however is the fact that all my browsing traffic routes thorugh some worse or better defined third party network. These services do what they advertise. From the other side my concern is what else they do with the traffic received. For example... do they collect my usernames and passwords when connecting to different web services? That's easy to do... and this always makes me to read about the service but drop it at the end.