Iron Portable not self contained?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

lookyhere

Iron Portable not self contained?

Post by lookyhere »

This has bugged me for several releases now, so thought I'll just come here and ask.

I normally just extract Iron Portable in a folder, then boot up Ironportable and then pin it onto the Win7 taskbar using the "Pin to Taskbar" option. When a new release comes out, I unpin the program, then delete the whole folder, and extract the new version.

Now here is what is bugging me:
1) If I click IronPortable.exe straight from the folder, a fresh version of Iron pops up.
2) BUT, if I pin IronPortable to the taskbar and then launch from the taskbar, all my previous settings, bookmarks and cookies are restored. Why is this, because I am sure I had deleted the previous IronPortable folder?

When I check "About Srware Iron", it is indeed the latest version, but somehow it restored all my settings when I have deleted the previous version.

So where are all the temp files, settings, cookies and bookmarks actually stored?
StalkerNOVA

Re: Iron Portable not self contained?

Post by StalkerNOVA »

It'all simple. You need tolaunch IronPortable.exe but it only a launcher. In taskbar you see Iron.exe. When you run it it saves all settings as if would be non-portable version.

To keep it portable you need to run IronPortable.exe launcher so just create a desktop shortcut. Or drag IronPortable totaskbar (in this case after launch it'll stay inactcive but new icon of Iron will appear).