SRWare Iron Automatic Update

Iron Forum for english speaking people

ligerTiger

SRWare Iron Automatic Update

Post by ligerTiger »

Hello everybody !

I have a question , does the Iron update itself automatically ? I have Windows XP.

Many Thanks !

//Edit by Admin:
Now avaiable: http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11751
jazluvr

Re: SRWare Iron Automatic Update

Post by jazluvr »

ligerTiger wrote:Hello everybody !

I have a question , does the Iron update itself automatically ? I have Windows XP.

Many Thanks !
No, That's the beauty of using Iron. It's not connected to a server. You have to come here and watch for new versions or updates. Careful of using most chrome add-ons, as they enable all their web tracking that Iron eliminates. i tried a couple a while ago, and get a little warning pop-up that says some info may be obtained by google by using this add-on, or something close to that. At least most of them warn you...lol.

Personally i don't use any google anything. As I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread...scroogle is a pretty cool search engine, and it doesn't track you. Even fanboys adblock list that is posted and discussed here has to be updated manually, even though you can use an auto-updater, you have to manually make it work.
bulek

Post by bulek »

That would be great addition to Iron and it does not anything to do with privacy. SRWare could take google updater which is OS now and modify it accordingly so that the updates are taken from SRWare servers.
ligerTiger

Post by ligerTiger »

Thanks for your reply !

Do i have to delete the old Iron and iron folder when new updates come or does the new version "overwrite" the old one ?
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

In reply to both posts above, bulek, you are very helpful and probably know a bit more about this stuff than i, but i respectfully dissagree with you. i think making Iron auto-update-able, (connected to a sever) is able to track people, and is a step towards google browser. I pretty much doubt that SRWare would track us, but i like knowing there is no connection to even create doubt.

i don't want to see SRWare implimenting any such changes. Firefox just caved in to the advert industry and is NOT implementing a "do not track" feature in their browser, however, internet explorer9 will have it, so i read.
So i don't want Iron "caving in" or even peeking down that road, or it will lose it's uniqueness. i love that there is no auto updater.

I feel very strongly about this. It's the main reason i use Iron.
It's the only browser i know of that isn't connected to a server. Firefox uses google as a search engine and they make a boatload of money for it. If they did add an auto-updater i would start looking seriously at using ie9 just for the do not track feature.

I don't like or trust google, as it's mainly an ad agency that evolved into a browser maker.. :?:

And ligertiger, i have just downloaded and installed new versions over my existing ones and it updates to the newer version, and i get to keep all my settings, which are very few, actually cuz i don't use any add-ons or plug-ins that don't already come pre-installed with Iron.
bulek

Post by bulek »

jazluvr, I am sorry... what have you just said? You have downloaded the new Iron package? Then you are now tracked :). But seriously now... what's the difference between you downloading and installing Iron and the Iron updater doing the same? I can tell you - the difference is none... well there is because your download and installation was manual while autoupdate could be (but does not have to) automatic. That's it... the track you leave is the same.

What would you say for updater that you could either turn off or on? Would it be acceptable?
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

bulek wrote:jazluvr, I am sorry... what have you just said? You have downloaded the new Iron package? Then you are now tracked :). But seriously now... what's the difference between you downloading and installing Iron and the Iron updater doing the same? I can tell you - the difference is none... well there is because your download and installation was manual while autoupdate could be (but does not have to) automatic. That's it... the track you leave is the same.

What would you say for updater that you could either turn off or on? Would it be acceptable?
No bulek, i didn't update to version 8. Not after reading your post and others about the enable cookie promt was removed. So i am not being tracked. Well, as far as i know and can take action against. I won't update unless they give us back that feature to control cookies. and no, i don't want an update i could turn on or off. Just because i can turn it off, the software is still there, how do i know it isn't tracking me through the nafarious auto-update link to a server?

So, no, not acceptable. It's no problem at all for me to visit this site for updates. If anybody is too lazy to do that, then you need to use auto-update. Like i said i admit you know more than me, but i am going by what i do know...i don't want my browser connected to a server. whether or not auto-update is turned off. Google say you can turn these off as well, we see how that went. They still track you. I prefer all manual updates. and total cookie control. I want to learn more about these "super cookies" and flash Cookies.

I realize that by disabling a certain amount of them, (if we have that kind of flexibility) we trade quality web experience for privacy, but i like have options. I'm going to sit back and see what Iron does. If they remain loyal to us, i will stay, if they go down the road of google, I might be looking seriously at ie9 again. At least they have the "do not track me" option FF caved in on. Plus i think i read extensions like adding fanboys adblocker might be usable? I'm not sure on that, so don't quote me...lol.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@jazluvr

you can control the cookies: - block all sites - control the cookies you want activate from the icon wit "X" on the url line
ligerTiger

Post by ligerTiger »

Thank you ! Now i learned a bit more again with the Iron :)
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

@mapx...thanks for your reply...I prefer the --enable cookie prompt feature, cuz a couple forums i belong to have many sub forums and pages, and if i block all cookies, i get logged out and have to log in. It needs cookies enabled on that one site in particular. I like the ask me feature much better than all or nothing...lol. Just seems more convenient for me.

@bulek...i hope i didn't offend you, i didn't mean my post to appear rude. After thinking about what you said about Iron utilizing an auto-updater for their adblocker, i realized i trust fanboys adblock list, so why should i not trust Iron? And what list would they impliment? Would they make their own, or use whatever fanboy might come up with? We are getting into a lot of work for Iron, so seeing as how they like to keep things simple and light, i would prefer they not go that route, i guess, though if they did, i wouldn't mind.

And i see i already asked about flash cookies, or LSO's, i just got done posting about them again. Been doing a little reading up on them and i didn't realize i had already posted about them. I'm a bit older than some might think, so excuse my bad memory.. :mrgreen: