How.where does Iron get it's revenue from?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

jazluvr

How.where does Iron get it's revenue from?

Post by jazluvr »

The thought just now crossed my mind...most browsers get their revenue from the ad world. I just read that Micro$ucks is going to impliment a "don't track me" feature on their new IE9 browser, and i read that Mozilla caved in on advertizers and are withdrawing that feature from Firefox...lol.

i love this browser, especially now that i have control over cookies by entering in the flag mapx informed us about " --enable-cookie-prompt", now i constantly get pop-ups asking me and i decline and got to the site anyway...lol. Then i check to see if i have any cookies, just to make sure it's working, and yep...not one dam cookie! Even this site wanted to plant one, i got the pop-up and said no. And here i am typing this, logged in. Gotta love this browser.

So...where does Iron get it's revenue, if it doesn't depend on adverts to support it? is Iron really completely free now of ads? I mean, i see in some pc forums Iron haters-FF luvrs, claiming Iron to be a scam, which i laff at and have debated it very briefly, but now stay away from. My choice of browser is not up for debate.

If i see some asking which browser is good, i recommend Iron, and we might even have a couple members here just from me mentioning how great it is to use a browser that is NOT connected to a server, or ANY add-ons that auto update by themselves, (which need to be connected to a server), I manually update my adblock.ini with fanboys list myself.

So, again, where does Iron get it's revenue?
SRWare
Site Admin

Re: How.where does Iron get it's revenue from?

Post by SRWare »

jazluvr wrote: So, again, where does Iron get it's revenue?
From the ads on the iron-webpages. There are no ads IN the browser.
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

SRWare wrote:
jazluvr wrote: So, again, where does Iron get it's revenue?
From the ads on the iron-webpages. There are no ads IN the browser.
Thanks for the quick reply, "agent Smith"...i like that avatar...lol. Very fitting for this unique browser-forum. I use scroogle exclusively instead of google now, i even have a link to the search engine in my toolbar, which is very convenient. I won't use anything "google related"...i even deleted google earth, as fun as it was and I've never used gmail and won't.

So i typed in "Iron web browser" to get to the main page, where you say the ads are, but i haven't seen any ads at all. Again, i may have mapx's " --enable-cookie-prompt" to thank for that.

Is it because i have my adblocker updated via fanboys list? And if i scroll to the bottom, i see this--> Google Adsense [Bot], jazluvr, Voyager [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] as being active here...lol. Somebody mentioned google adsense following them around, I don't know what's up with this stuff, i am assuming it's just a harmless, but necessary part of the code Iron needs to be a browser built on the chromium base code, cuz i see no reference that it is following me when i go to other sites. i occasionally check to see if i have any cookies, and it's always empty.

I realize they are the html 5 (or whatever) type of cookies and their are other types, that use flash and are much more persistent or aggressive. I also use a hosts file, which helps to some degree. i realize that there probably is no "completely untraceable browser" due to necessary plug-ins or whatever to actually use the web pretty freely.

It pretty much boils down to how stringent you are about your own privacy and what we are willing to give up for web viewing and participation in it for a fulfilling web experience. And that it's up to us as individuals to learn and discern which ones we wish to implement.

But that google adbot is kinda...making me wonder exactly what the heck it is, and why are Iron users not able to see the pop-ups but the guy using opera can see it's pop-ups and can see it following him. What is it? Now i see this--->Google Adsense [Bot], jazluvr and 7 guests
mapx

Post by mapx »

- you can activate the pop-up windows from options.

- Google Adsense [Bot] is a user like u; dont worry ...
"The Google AdSense bot crawls web pages which contain Google AdSense advertisements, in order to determine what advertisements are most relevant"

- you can test your iron without a full adblock.ini to see the ads srware told you.
bulek

Post by bulek »

jazluvr wrote:I won't use anything "google related"...i even deleted google earth, as fun as it was and I've never used gmail and won't.
That is a bit naive approach I would say :). Iron is in 99% based on Chromium code not developed by SRWare. Who is developing it then? Who sponsors whole development? Look at the developers mail addresses and you will notice majority of them having "@google.com". So you actually do use "google related" software which is Iron and you really like it and you benefit from it :). SRWare introduces just small modifications to Chromium code. If this changes whole Google involvement in the browser you are using then we have a different views in that.

The users you see at the bottom of the forum page (the "bots") do not follow you. They are just automatic robots indexing the SRWare web pages and forum to enable search engines (including google) to find the information and some of them are adsense related too. This is clear and natural that SRWare wants these robots to index their pages. So nobody "follows" you - the robots are just connected to SRWare site at the same time as you are.

As for revenues I think SRWare does not need Iron so much. This company existed before Iron and had its own revenues. Iron is just a small addition to that... low efforts needed to adjust Chromium code from time to time - low income from Iron users when they visit main Iron web site. And yes, you are right - you do not support SRWare in Iron development because of adblock enabled.