Problem making Iron the default browser

Iron Forum for english speaking people

john.bakker

Problem making Iron the default browser

Post by john.bakker »

I can't make Iron the default browser. Nothing happens when I pushed the button accept that firefox is saying that he is no longer the default browser, but my links on my desktop won't change and Iron is not starting when I click on one of these links. I'm using Windows 7 as OS
samso

Re: Problem making Iron the default browser

Post by samso »

You have to start Iron as administrator by right clicking on the icon and choosing that option. Then everything is just so easy.
/samso
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

i think samso might be saying to install it as an admin, by right clicking on the .exe installer, then you will be presented with the option to make it your default browser. And watch out for those chrome add-ons. A lot of them enable tracking, therfore negating the greatness of Iron! :mrgreen:
arflech

Post by arflech »

No, it also works if you've already installed the browser and then you right-click the shortcut and "Run as administrator"; interestingly enough you're never supposed to run plain ol' Chrome or Chrome Canary as an administrator or else you'll have trouble updating...
bulek

Post by bulek »

jazluvr wrote:i think samso might be saying to install it as an admin
Actually you are not right. samso wrote exactly what is needed - start Iron as admin, set it as a default browser, then close and you can use it as a "normal" user afterwards.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

I didn't realize that...thanks for correcting me. Good to know for next install, IF...they give us back cookie control, which i have in version 7.0.520.1. ( won't update to 8 until they give us that option back.) But it does work the same way as i described. The fact that he said "Then everything is just so easy."...made me think he was running the installer as an admin. :lol:
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

jazluvr wrote: IF...they give us back cookie control, which i have in version 7.0.520.1. ( won't update to 8 until they give us that option back.)
I think you're beating a horse that ain't gonna race any more! You are probably going to have to live without that feature, or just continue to use the old version, or find another browser that functions that way, or find someone to write an extension to add it back in(good luck with that!).
I Just go 8.0.555.1, and it's not there.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Dude...re-read my post...lol. "IF...they give us back cookie control, which i have in version 7.0.520.1. ( won't update to 8 until they give us that option back.)i DO have that option! I never upgraded to 8, because Bulek or somebody said Chrome dropped that and Iron might also, and i keep previous versions of program .exe's on my desktop i might went to roll back to, like video drivers.

You can get that version because SRware guys posted the link to it. Look at my 2 threads about it.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Woops...i should be the one to read more careflly...again i missed what you said..."continue using this version" sorry about that. i listen to music while browsing and get distracted sometimes. :oops:
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

I don't need that link to the 7.x version you have. I keep copies of Iron for 'my posterity'.
Personally, I find the cookie manager works really well for me. I have my financials and a few other critical sites white listed, the rest I could give a shit about, dude! Cookies are off by are off by default.