[Benchmark] Iron vs Chrome vs "the rest"

Iron Forum for english speaking people

jazluvr

Re: [Benchmark] Iron v7.0.520.0 VS Chrome v7.0.517.41

Post by jazluvr »

Wow...this chrome plus thing looks pretty nice! As far as i can see, it doesn't track you unless you let it. is this true? is this as "untrackable as Iron? I'd like some more info of this kind, such as adblocking and add-ons. Does it use Chrome default ones (which enable tracking) or does it have it's own-can we use our own, like fanboys modified file or scream's mod? Or any filter we want to subscribe to?

i'm finding Iron to be a bit "stiff", as the admins won't answer any of my questions re; the google translator. i asked them if it enables tracking like most other google extensions and add-ons, and they won't answer me. and the adlbock updater thing is frustrating the hell out of me. and yes, i know it can't update if Iron is open. The source and destination are right and i have it on my desktop, but when i double click it, it won't update. i have to manually copy all of that text in notepad (fanboys list) and save it as adblock.ini, and replace it manually on the default iron folder, the protected one that can't be written too...lol.

Everybody but me seems to be able to use the auto updater, and rIOZ says it can't be writtin to because it's in a protected folder. yet everybody else has it working. I don't get what the hell is wrong here. And I'm getting frustrated with the whole thing.
bulek

Post by bulek »

jazluvr wrote:Wow...this chrome plus thing looks pretty nice! [...] I'd like some more info of this kind, such as adblocking and add-ons.
It does support any extension as Iron/Chrome/Chromium. The main benefit of it initially was built-in IETab when similar extensions where not available for Chrome yet. They also tried to implement adblocking feature but that was the slowest engine I saw in my life. I remember some discussions where they were wondering how come the Iron adblocking works at the light speed pace. But that was months ago as I said. Because of this slowness I gave up very quickly.
jazluvr wrote:Everybody but me seems to be able to use the auto updater, and rIOZ says it can't be writtin to because it's in a protected folder. yet everybody else has it working. I don't get what the hell is wrong here. And I'm getting frustrated with the whole thing.
I tend to agree the support for Iron is very poor. Actually the only value is Iron itself. The support is seldom and the forum rules are strange - you can't get involved in a quick discussion. Anyway... Iron in comparision to other Chromium browsers writes its executables in protected folder. This is why the autoupdate feature simply does not work for Iron. Well... it could work but SRWare would need to implement it in a different way than standard Chrome.
Tendency

Post by Tendency »

Another update, sorry don't have much time on my hands. ;)

Changes 15-november-2010:
- ChromePlus v1.4.2.0
- Firefox 4 Beta 7 (I'm still not impressed..)
- SRWare Iron v7.0.520.1

PietO

Post by PietO »

Goodbye Iron,

after using Iron since it was introduces because of speed, the latest OPERA builds 11.00 build 1111 beats Iron in real-life on my old PC not only on speed but also on:
- cache management (size, no fiddling with registry required for clicking on links etc.)
- ad-management (urlfilter.ini) with easy adding of entries (rigth click on page and select "block contents...")
- adaptability GUI
- more "future" save due to installed base

and not considering advanced features .... Could not find any disadvantage as simple user after 1 day try-out. Most important, Adblocking can also be extended with "NoAd"from Ruzanov but no need untill now.
Gozu

Post by Gozu »

Here is the result on my Linux netbook:
4board

Post by 4board »

Here is the score I get with latest Iron 8.0.555.0 (68000)

With an Intel Core i5 750 @ 4 Ghz and Iron portable on a ramdisk (not only cache, all)

I liked Chromium but hated the ads killer...Iron's adblock.ini work so fine and is "ressources'friendly" ;)
Keep up the good work.
Gozu

Post by Gozu »

A little update with the latest Chromium build and the new Firefox 4.0 Beta 9. I also tested Midori and Epiphany, but they both didn't finish Peacekeeper.
Mikah

Post by Mikah »

Mikah

Post by Mikah »

Tested a mixture of stable & beta versions
Opera is stable as is Chrome 9 , Safari
Chrome 11 is the Canary release & Internet Explorer 9 is the leaked release candidate.

Safari is the only browser I hate its buggy on my PC.
Favorite browser is Opera but will be using SRWare Iron instead of Chrome as a backup browser.

Win 7 x64 CPU Intel i 920 overclocked to 4 Ghz graphics card Radeon 5770.
Gozu

Post by Gozu »

A little Update from my Linux Netbook:
- Chromium 11 is still faster than Opera 11.01
- Firefox 4 Beta 10 is slower than Beta 8 & 9
- Midori 0.3 is still not finishing Peacekeeper