Iron Forum for english speaking people

SRWare
Site Admin

Re: New Iron-Version: 7.0.520.1 Stable for Windows

Post by SRWare »

slayerr wrote:
SRWare wrote:UPDATE (09.11.2010):
Updated to 7.0.520.1 (Security-Update)
we need to download again, or the browser has auto-update?
ps: using portable version;
downlaod again
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
MST

Re: New Iron-Version: 7.0.520.0 Stable for Windows

Post by MST »

Mele20 wrote:
MST wrote:
Mele20 wrote:Iron does not pass cookie forensics at GRC.com (context problems with third party cookies being set even when blocked). That is the older versions do not pass. This new version, I shudder to think how it would perform. I like Iron but Google is intent on stripping users of ALL privacy and I am not going to upgrade Iron after reading this thread nor will I continue to use the version I have. Opera, Fx both respect my privacy much better and they pass cookie forensics tests at GRC.com. IE, of course, doesn't pass as how you set it for cookies is irrelevant as it ignores your settings in all versions.

There is also the SSL problem with Iron. I cannot force Iron to disallow the weak ciphers like I can with Opera. Of course, I assume this is a Chrome problem not an Iron one. Google hates any sort of privacy or security for users and Iron can't fix all the Google privacy/security problems in Chrome with its Iron offering. So, I am better off security, and privacy wise, with Opera and Firefox although they also have to watched very carefully as they too will cause immense security and privacy problems if not very carefully configured.
After setting IRON to block 3d party cookies,you need to restart browser.I passed the test.
Yes, it passes the main test. It does NOT pass Cross Context cookie test at GRC.

"The three third-party session cookies shown above as “context” (purple) were originally received by your browser from a first-party server, but they are now being returned to our third-party server. This is the result of poor web browser privacy design which blocks incoming but not outgoing cookie exchanges. In practice this is used against you by causing your browser to follow a link to a third-party tracking site. But because your browser is briefly there in a first-party context — visiting the site directly — the site can plant a first-party session cookie in your browser, which your browser's settings are currently configured to allow (as is common and usually safe). But then, when visiting other sites, your browser continues to offer that cookie to third-party advertising and profiling servers, allowing your location and movement to be tracked across the Internet . . . even though you configured your browser to block such third-party tracking and profiling. Some browsers can be configured to “leash” cookies to prevent this “cross-context” leakage — which you should definitely explore. Either doing that, or changing browsers, is your only recourse. Either way, not blocking outbound cookies, as this browser is doing, is obviously very poor privacy design."

It also fails the same test using permanent cookies. The three it fails on are page, css, and script. Other browsers used to fail on some of these but Opera does not fail on any now. It is not surprising that Iron would fail as Google is not about to allow users any privacy and Iron can't all the privacy leaks in Chrome.
See what you mean.You are correct.This is not acceptable.
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

Yes I am not too sure I like recent changes reference cookies either, the recent loss of the ask me option in content settings regarding cookies still has not been answered, I tried translating it onto the german side of the forum but got no answers there either. That option loss remains with us in this new .1 version.

I did not ask the question originally (on the first page of this thread) .. Does anyone know if there has been an answer?, is the Ask Me option ever going to come back?, if not why?.

Of course SRWare can only really modify current code from the open source versions taken as a base, and I suppose sometimes if google makes a big change but the security benefits out-weigh the losses, then SRWare will make the best of latest code. So is google keeping a bit of a dog leash on how Iron develops?
MST

Re: New Iron-Version: 7.0.520.0 Stable for Windows

Post by MST »

Mele20 wrote:Iron does not pass cookie forensics at GRC.com (context problems with third party cookies being set even when blocked). That is the older versions do not pass. This new version, I shudder to think how it would perform. I like Iron but Google is intent on stripping users of ALL privacy and I am not going to upgrade Iron after reading this thread nor will I continue to use the version I have. Opera, Fx both respect my privacy much better and they pass cookie forensics tests at GRC.com. IE, of course, doesn't pass as how you set it for cookies is irrelevant as it ignores your settings in all versions.

There is also the SSL problem with Iron. I cannot force Iron to disallow the weak ciphers like I can with Opera. Of course, I assume this is a Chrome problem not an Iron one. Google hates any sort of privacy or security for users and Iron can't fix all the Google privacy/security problems in Chrome with its Iron offering. So, I am better off security, and privacy wise, with Opera and Firefox although they also have to watched very carefully as they too will cause immense security and privacy problems if not very carefully configured.
I ran this test with opera,and it gets the same results as IRON.According to a dev at OPERA forums,this test is B.S . http://my.opera.com/community/forums/to ... ent7706312

I would like to hear SRware's view on this test.
http://www.grc.com/cookies/context.htm
megaman

Post by megaman »

I must say that I love the browser. It loads extremely fast, over Firefox and IE. From my tests it loads double the speed of IE and triple of Firefox.

Now, to the point in hand, I must say that I am running the GPU experimental version, yet nothing shows up in the Task Manager about the GPU working, during the Fish Tank trial of the Microsoft Website.

Useless rants: I hope that SkipScreen, TabMix Plus, OpenWith, and Download Statusbar get developed for SRWare Iron. :P
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

megaman wrote:I must say that I love the browser. It loads extremely fast, over Firefox and IE. From my tests it loads double the speed of IE and triple of Firefox.

Now, to the point in hand, I must say that I am running the GPU experimental version, yet nothing shows up in the Task Manager about the GPU working, during the Fish Tank trial of the Microsoft Website.

Useless rants: I hope that SkipScreen, TabMix Plus, OpenWith, and Download Statusbar get developed for SRWare Iron. :P
You like the load speed of Iron, yet, you want to add versions of a couple of Firefox extensions that are known for making to slow to start up.

I don't have the GPU version, but I don't have problems with the MS Fish Tank either.
megaman

Post by megaman »

ironuser wrote:You like the load speed of Iron, yet, you want to add versions of a couple of Firefox extensions that are known for making to slow to start up.

I don't have the GPU version, but I don't have problems with the MS Fish Tank either.

It's the browser itself(Firefox) that is slow. The extensions might slow-down the browser, but I still have the feeling that it will start up faster than Firefox on Stock, non-extensions, settings. Even the Firefox Preloader couldn't compete with the speed of SRWare Iron's start-up. At that time, I had the extensions of Neat Bookmarks, IETab, and Adblock extensions on Iron.

Side rant: On Firefox the Fish Tank works great, I won't get IE9 any time soon, so I don't know how it compares.
megaman

Post by megaman »

I appreciate that your browser doesn't have any problems, but that doesn't help me solve mine. ;)

Sorry for the double-post, but I can't find the edit button.
Okay, SkipScreen is not a factor, since I can simply put the captcha manually. If you aren't aware of the time-limit, you would struggle having to redo the captcha for another chance to download, especially since I am doing many things at the same time, so that's what's amazing with SkipScreen.

The only one that I would like to see in SRWare Iron is TabMix Plus, or if someone can help me so that the tabs open in the background, I open tons of tabs and it gets annoying when they open and switch to that newly-opened tab.

I found another bug:
When I open many tabs they seem to stop loading the pages, even when I focus on a certain tab(Reloading the page won't do anything either, it's like it doesn't have a direction), if it wasn't bad enough that the browser starts lagging like hell when opening those many tabs. I tried the same page and amount of tabs on FF and they didn't cause issues(or lag) like I got in Iron, possible fix?
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Anyone having issues with Yahoo! Mail? I can no longer access it. The page flashes for a moment then I get the "ooops" page.

"Ooops. Yahoo! Mail can't load
Loading Yahoo! Mail failed due to a client side error"

No issues in Firefox 4.0beta7 or IE 9
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Uncle, I just came from Yahoo mail, and didn't experience the problem(s) you describe. But then, you know Yahoo has this habit of failing at the most inopportune time. At least it does for me. Try again later after clearing cookies and cache.