turn off omnibox suggestions

Iron Forum for english speaking people

bsol

turn off omnibox suggestions

Post by bsol »

First, I have to say THANK YOU to SRWare for compiling Iron. It really is the "Browser of the Future."

Now my question: How can we REALLY turn off the Omnibox Suggestion list that Chrome and Iron still feed us?

I gather that Iron sets the Omnibox to provide browsing "suggestions" that it pulls ONLY from your existing browsing history; it apparently does not send a feed to Google for those suggestions (unlike Chrome).

However, I would like to turn off ALL suggestions, including suggestions based on my prior browsing.

I use Iron almost exclusively in Incognito mode, which is not supposed to retain ANY browsing history, and yet when I type in the address box, I inevitably get a long string of "suggestions" all based on prior browsing. This strikes me as a complete contradiction of the Incognito concept.

How can we turn this off? Is there a setting in Iron that will really turn off suggestions AND turn off our browsing history monitoring??
Tiger-Heli

Re: turn off omnibox suggestions

Post by Tiger-Heli »

I know this is a 3-year-old post, but it was never answered and I didn't find a good answer elsewhere either:

Not sure if this will get a reply or not, but I thought I'd offer some suggestions:

First off - there are three things that might need to be controlled:

* Auto Search - Would be nice to have a checkbox in the settings to disable this - If I type "Test" in the address bar, SRW Iron suggests <Default Search Provider> - Search Test for results. I use the Search Bar extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dnidbammed and it works well, so I have no need of this in the browser. I workaround is to create a new search engine with properties Null, Null, %s and set it as your default search engine. You still see a result for "Test - Null Search", but clicking that will (try to) take you to http:\\test.com.

* Bookmark Search - Would be nice to have a checkbox in settings to disable this - For example - if I type Test - the dropdown shows my bookmarks that also have Test in the title, even if the website doesn't have them. Personally, I don't like this. If I want to search my bookmarks, there is a bookmarks tab and a search bar at the top to do this.

* Prior History Search - This is what the OP is complaining about. Personally, I like it, and wish it were expanded. If I type in test - the drop-down shows the last 5 or 6 pages with test somewhere in the URL. To me, this is convenient as I don't have to remember an exact URL to go to. The problem I have is that if I want to go to "www.testresults_b.com", but I have also visited test.com, test/help.com, test/index.com, etc. I might not see the result in the 5 or 6 that are returned.
Firefox handles it this way: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/928166. In Chrome - an elegant way to handle it would be to have an option for "Address bar suggests "XX" <dropdown> suggestions" with 10 or 20 being the max and setting it to 0 would basically disable it. (Not exactly what the OP wanted b/c if someone changed the setting to 10 - it would probably display his past results, but ...)

Just my two-cents ...