AdBlock Plus only works in Version 6?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

jazluvr

Re: AdBlock Plus only works in Version 6?

Post by jazluvr »

Phyrexia wrote:Wooohooo.... finally I can ditch Firefox!
Seriously, thank you for that Adblblock.ini. I've been looking for days for a way to block those ads in videos (e.g. Southparkstudios or mystarcraft.de). Adblock on Firefox does that perfectly, but on Chrome/Iron... well, guess that's a problem now solved. Is there anyway to integrate the .ini into an extension?
As far as i know, i have to manually update fanboys list manually every day since I'm using Iron, I'm not connected to any servers that will auto update, and i have stopped using ANY programs that auto update, except for MS, i have set to notify me, and i decide whether or not to update.

Back to your question, the closest thing to what you're describing might be what I'm doing. I configured my proxy server setting to use one of these links, http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlis ... howintro=0 (uses the ad server hostnames)
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/iplist.ph ... howintro=0 (uses ad server IP addresses); from arflech's post http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?h ... =plaintext. I click the wrench icon, click "change proxy settings", and that pulls up what look like an IE8 screen with internet options.

Click on lan settings, then check the box "use automatic configuration script", enter the address of 1 of those url's i posted, and leave everything else unchecked. if i'm figuring right, it's using that proxy script to black ads and crap, and it updates itself. Read all that stuff carefully. I opted to use this in conjunction with the MVP host file, as i don't detect ANY slowdown. Other than that, i have to manually copy fanboys updated list everyday and paste it in notepad, save as adblock.ini to desktop, close Iron, open the Iron folder and drag the adblock file over the existing one and it prompts me to replace and. or move it.

If you're doing it right it should be saved to desktop looking like a gear in front of a letter. Someone else might have been making that mistake so this is also addressing that issue. Hope i helped ya. If I'm wrong, someone that knows more feel free to correct me. No sarcasm meant. I want to be sure I'm doing it right...lol. Seems to be working fine. I'm picking up much less crap in ccleaner.
Phyrexia

Post by Phyrexia »

Thanks, I'll check it out as soon as I've got enough time... I'm finally migrating my OS to an SSD and doing some tweaks on my Qnap TS-210. That should keep me busy for a while. :D
:ironvsff
bulek

Post by bulek »

Adthwart blocker has been embedded into Adblock Plus product. From now on the Adblock Plus icon will show if you install Adthwart extension.
megaman

Post by megaman »

Have you seen how messed up Adblock Plus has become?

If you see the image "Check 1," you will see how it looks like with the Adblock Plus and Adblock Chromium.

If you see "Check 2," that's how it looks like with the Adblock (chrome adblock) and Adthwart.

I know that Adblock (chrome adblock) will slow down page loading like hell, heck some tabs even freeze where they lose their direction and Reload doesn't fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arflech

Post by arflech »

AdBlock Chromium has not been updated since it was first introduced, so it is not recommended; Adblock Plus is still in beta, so that is not recommended. I recommend sticking with the built-in blocking in SRWare Iron and possibly also using Adblock+ Element Hiding Helper, because only the built-in SRWare Iron blocking does a perfect job at keeping content from being downloaded.