AdBlock Plus only works in Version 6?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

curlin

Re: AdBlock Plus only works in Version 6?

Post by curlin »

give Privoxy a shot - http://www.privoxy.org/

Been using it for months now and works well. Bit of a learning curve though.
arflech

Post by arflech »

jazluvr wrote:Now as far as i know, the only adblocker that will work with Iron is the chrome version. The one that can access everything! Is there an alternative adblocker non-related to chrome, that will work with iron? Because apparently, they are still tracking me through the adblock program itself, irregardless of which filter i use! I have tried FF's adblocker, but it's doesn't work with Chrome.

And the 2 lists i was refering to are in the previous posts...easylist and chromes original adblocker list. I am only using fanboys list, and it seems fine, no ads. but now i am very confused by all this. They can still spy on me because i am using their adblocker, the only one i can find that works in iron. And i am like you, i don't want nobody tracking me at all, in any way shape or form.
As I already said, there is a file in the Iron program directory called "adblock.ini" and Iron uses this file to block content from being downloaded; this has been there for nearly 2 years, from the very beginning of SRWare Iron (even back when there were no extensions), it uses no extension and cannot be updated while Iron is running, and it is the only reason I ever use SRWare Iron in favor of Chrome (but once Chrome becomes as good as Safari at blocking content, I'm ditching Iron).

As ironuser said, you need to replace the default contents of adblock.ini with this file; right-click and "Save link as..." and close SRWare Iron before putting this new "adblock.ini" file into the SRWare Iron directory: https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/iron/complete/adblock.ini
If you use this file, be sure to uninstall AdBlock and AdThwart; I think the "AdBlock+ Element Hiding Helper" extension is still useful, because it merely hides elements (using the element-hiding rules in the same filter lists used by AdBlock and AdThwart), and AdSweep is a more limited alternative.

As said before, this does not work (and was never intended to work) with Chrome AdBlock, which instead uses the same (much more expressive and powerful) format that AdBlock Plus for Firefox uses, allowing list authors to be more precise about what URLs should be blocked and what should be whitelisted to fine-tune the blocks (Iron's native "adblock.ini" system does not permit whitelisting or even wildcards, and it also cannot be auto-updated, which is a pain).
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

As I already said, there is a file in the Iron program directory called "adblock.ini" and Iron uses this file to block content from being downloaded; this has been there for nearly 2 years, from the very beginning of SRWare Iron (even back when there were no extensions), it uses no extension and cannot be updated while Iron is running, and it is the only reason I ever use SRWare Iron in favor of Chrome (but once Chrome becomes as good as Safari at blocking content, I'm ditching Iron).

As ironuser said, you need to replace the default contents of adblock.ini with this file; right-click and "Save link as..." and close SRWare Iron before putting this new "adblock.ini" file into the SRWare Iron directory: https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/iron/complete/adblock.ini
If you use this file, be sure to uninstall AdBlock and AdThwart; I think the "AdBlock+ Element Hiding Helper" extension is still useful, because it merely hides elements (using the element-hiding rules in the same filter lists used by AdBlock and AdThwart), and AdSweep is a more limited alternative.

As said before, this does not work (and was never intended to work) with Chrome AdBlock, which instead uses the same (much more expressive and powerful) format that AdBlock Plus for Firefox uses, allowing list authors to be more precise about what URLs should be blocked and what should be whitelisted to fine-tune the blocks (Iron's native "adblock.ini" system does not permit whitelisting or even wildcards, and it also cannot be auto-updated, which is a pain).[/quote]

What?? I don't get this...you will go back to chrome once (if) they become as good as safari at blocking content? What about all that tracking crap that made you not use them or any of their extensions that can spy on you?? Why aren't you using safari now if they are that good? They may improve at blocking content, but not their content, and they still spy on you.

Doesn't the AdBlock+ Element Hiding Helper extension have those tacking capabilities? It seems like almost every extension "connects" their tracking software right to Iron. Like i said, ccleaner is picking up google chrome files in it's own directory of ccleaner that get created whenever i install this new version of Iron. Is it possible that this version made a mistake and inadvertently inserted code that can track you? I don't think ccleaner picked up any google stuff with the previous version.

i may roll back to that and try it, cuz i saved the installer for it on desktop.
Udy

Post by Udy »

Using an abdlocking plugin will slow down SRWare Iron.

The main performance advantage of SRWare Iron is really fast adblocking mechanism (adblock.ini).

Using SRWare Iron with and Adblock Plugin will make it no faster than Chrome 6.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Udy wrote:Using an abdlocking plugin will slow down SRWare Iron.

The main performance advantage of SRWare Iron is really fast adblocking mechanism (adblock.ini).

Using SRWare Iron with and Adblock Plugin will make it no faster than Chrome 6.
I'm not using any plug-ins. I'm only adding fanboys list to the Iron folder, I have the url to his list that gets updated very frequently, and i just delete the old list and add the new one in, and i can't tell any difference at all in speed. The main performance you mention is a very outdated adblocker that doesn't hardly help at all. And Iron doesn't update, nor does it even provide any updates to it.

I also use an update hosts file that i have reight beside fanboys url. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm They update it one every 2-3 months, and it helps keep out a lot of crap, though it's not a cure-all.
arflech

Post by arflech »

The MVPs HOSTS file has too many false positives; I prefer Peter Lowe's AdServers: http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?h ... =plaintext
DigitalMan

Post by DigitalMan »

Alright, perhaps I'm doing something very wrong, but I've just saved the fanboy adblock.ini to my SRWare Iron program folder and I still see Google Ads on sites like Gmail. Are those supposed to still be visible?

I've rebooted Iron and they are still there.
arflech

Post by arflech »

Fanboy's list for Iron does not block Google ads; the syntax of the Iron ad-blocker is not expressive enough to block Google ads without blocking Google.

To cut down on the clutter, use this extension too: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... nifbhiglao
Be sure to go into the extension options; I like to use Liste FR+EasyList, but any of the pre-set options is good (I originally tried the German combo but that one wasn't loading).
SRWare
Site Admin

Post by SRWare »

arflech wrote:Fanboy's list for Iron does not block Google ads; the syntax of the Iron ad-blocker is not expressive enough to block Google ads without blocking Google.
Thats not true. Please block googlesyndication.com and other URLs, from where google loads ads (doubleclick etc).
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php
Phyrexia

Post by Phyrexia »

Wooohooo.... finally I can ditch Firefox!
Seriously, thank you for that Adblblock.ini. I've been looking for days for a way to block those ads in videos (e.g. Southparkstudios or mystarcraft.de). Adblock on Firefox does that perfectly, but on Chrome/Iron... well, guess that's a problem now solved. Is there anyway to integrate the .ini into an extension?