AdBlock Plus only works in Version 6?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

dsa2591

AdBlock Plus only works in Version 6?

Post by dsa2591 »

I tried to download AdBlock Plus for Chrome, and it sent a message saying it only works in SRWare Iron 6? Can anyone give me a link to download a version of AdBlock Plus that words in the latest version? The only think keeping me with FF is that there is no effective, easily customized adblocking in SRWare Iron. I'd like to switch over permanently, but right now, it's just not viable. I use Megavideo, and it does not allow me to bypass the viewing of ads to get to the videos, even when signed in.
arflech

Re: AdBlock Plus only works in Version 6?

Post by arflech »

Chrome AdBlock is not *that* effective, sometimes it misses the opportunity to block ads before they get loaded; anyway it just now changed its minimum chrome version to 6, so just wait a couple days for SRWare Iron 6

and if you would prefer ad-blocking that always gets the ads before they're downloaded, download adblock.ini from here, close SRWare Iron, and put adblock.ini into your SRWare Iron program directory (probably C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron): https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/iron/complete/adblock.ini
DaveIron

Post by DaveIron »

I prefer AdThwart.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

arflech wrote:Chrome AdBlock is not *that* effective, sometimes it misses the opportunity to block ads before they get loaded; anyway it just now changed its minimum chrome version to 6, so just wait a couple days for SRWare Iron 6

and if you would prefer ad-blocking that always gets the ads before they're downloaded, download adblock.ini from here, close SRWare Iron, and put adblock.ini into your SRWare Iron program directory (probably C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron): https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/iron/complete/adblock.ini
I originally tried to get that fanboy .ini file into the Iron directory, but it doesn't give me any option too. I have also tried to add it to easylist and adblock custom filters at he the bottom of the page where it lets you enter in a url for a list, but it won't allow it. It says it's not a list. Can you tell me exactly how i can add fanboy's list to the Iron directory? As i don't trust google with anything now.

But the google adblocker does seem to be doing very nicely... visited a few heavily laddened add web sites and it blocked them all. i just don't trust them to be "phoning home" with info. Or is this pretty much the same thing, and does this google adblocker send any info to google?
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

jazluvr wrote:
arflech wrote:Chrome AdBlock is not *that* effective, sometimes it misses the opportunity to block ads before they get loaded; anyway it just now changed its minimum chrome version to 6, so just wait a couple days for SRWare Iron 6

I originally tried to get that fanboy .ini file into the Iron directory, but it doesn't give me any option too. I have also tried to add it to easylist and adblock custom filters at he the bottom of the page where it lets you enter in a url for a list, but it won't allow it. It says it's not a list. Can you tell me exactly how i can add fanboy's list to the Iron directory? As i don't trust google with anything now.

But the google adblocker does seem to be doing very nicely... visited a few heavily laddened add web sites and it blocked them all. i just don't trust them to be "phoning home" with info. Or is this pretty much the same thing, and does this google adblocker send any info to google?
This is what i get when i attempt to enter the url in the adblock list.
---------------------------------
Subscribe to filter lists
The defaults are great for English-speaking users in the US. Others may wish to subscribe to more lists.

Don't subscribe to more than you need -- every one slows you down a tiny bit! Credits and more lists can be found here.

I will fetch updates automatically; you can also .
That wasn't a list URL.
AdBlock custom filters (recommended)updated 43 minutes ago
EasyList (recommended)updated 43 minutes ago
- additional Bulgarian filters
- additional Dutch filters
- additional Finnish filters
- additional French filters
- additional German filters
- additional Norwegian filters
- additional Polish filters
- additional Romanian filters
- additional Russian filters
- additional Vietnamese filters
Chinese filters
Czech filters
Danish filters
Hungarian filters
Israeli filters
Italian filters
Japanese filters
Korean filters
Polish filters
Spanish filters
Ukranian filters
EasyPrivacy
Or enter a URL: Subscribe to filter lists
The defaults are great for English-speaking users in the US. Others may wish to subscribe to more lists.

Don't subscribe to more than you need -- every one slows you down a tiny bit! Credits and more lists can be found here.

I will fetch updates automatically; you can also .
That wasn't a list URL.
AdBlock custom filters (recommended)updated 43 minutes ago
EasyList (recommended)updated 43 minutes ago
- additional Bulgarian filters
- additional Dutch filters
- additional Finnish filters
- additional French filters
- additional German filters
- additional Norwegian filters
- additional Polish filters
- additional Romanian filters
- additional Russian filters
- additional Vietnamese filters
Chinese filters
Czech filters
Danish filters
Hungarian filters
Israeli filters
Italian filters
Japanese filters
Korean filters
Polish filters
Spanish filters
Ukranian filters
EasyPrivacy
Or enter a URL: https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/iron/complete/adblock.ini
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

jazluvr wrote:

1- Go to the fanboy site, and COPY all of the test in the page using the Windows Copy method.
2- Open Notepad, and PASTE that information into the blank Notepad document.
3- Do a File>Save As from the Notepad document, and save it into the Iron Install folder as adblock.ini .
4- I suggest you also make another copy somewhere else on your hard drive, because if Iron is installed again, or update, the one in the install directory will be overwritten(A DUMB THING BY THE IRON DEVELOPERS, IMO)

I prefer this method of blocking ads to the extensions that either don't work well in Iron, or just hide the ads.
Also, Bookmark the fanboy page to make sure you keep it updated on a regular basis.
controlfreak

Post by controlfreak »

DaveIron wrote:I prefer AdThwart.
I'm not an expert here, but I'm wondering... when these Chrome extensions are to be installed one gets a window saying something like "this extensions will have access to all your information on all web sites and your browsing history." :shock: That seems to me to undermine the very purpose of using Iron (instead of Chrome) to begin with.

Am I misunderstanding what the install warning (the one with the devil smiley) means ?

Thanks !
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Thanks very much Ironuser...worked like a charm! Should i just use this one by itself and not the others? My thinking is the 2 "recommended" lists easylist and their version of adblock might have access to my browser like the above poster said he encountered when he attempted to install adthwart. I almost got that instead, but opted for the adlocker. I didn''t get the warning he got, though. But it seems to be working before i even install fanboys list. It overwrote the original list, and i have it saved and i got it bookmarked.

Should i delete those 2 lists from the chrome site?

is there an easy way to update the list or do i have to go through all that everytime i update? I don't mind, small price to pay for privacy...dam chrome...bunch of spies.. :lol:

I still can't get my favorites into the toolbar. I have them saved prior to a windows re-install on desktop and in IE, AND in my documents, i have them saved as an html file, a .lnk file, but i can't drag and drop them like i did with the first version of 5 (beta). I tried everything, used all options of importing them and nothing works. I can use them by clicking on sites on desktop and my browser just opens it up...lol. Weirdest dam thing i ever seen.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

jazluvr wrote:Thanks very much Ironuser...worked like a charm! Should i just use this one by itself and not the others? My thinking is the 2 "recommended" lists easylist and their version of adblock might have access to my browser like the above poster said he encountered when he attempted to install adthwart. I almost got that instead, but opted for the adlocker. I didn''t get the warning he got, though. But it seems to be working before i even install fanboys list. It overwrote the original list, and i have it saved and i got it bookmarked.

is there an easy way to update the list or do i have to go through all that everytime i update? I don't mind, small price to pay for privacy...dam chrome...bunch of spies.. :lol:
Personally I would NOT use any list that is connected to a 'chrome' site, or any web site in fact. But then, I am more than a bit paranoid.
I don't know of an easy way to update the fanboy list except to check it occasionally against the date at the top of the adblock.ini in your Iron folder.
I'm not sure what you are asking about 'two' lists! If the text from all of the lists can be added to your adblock.ini file, it should cover them all without having to have more than one.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

ironuser wrote:
jazluvr wrote:Thanks very much Ironuser...worked like a charm! Should i just use this one by itself and not the others? My thinking is the 2 "recommended" lists easylist and their version of adblock might have access to my browser like the above poster said he encountered when he attempted to install adthwart. I almost got that instead, but opted for the adlocker. I didn''t get the warning he got, though. But it seems to be working before i even install fanboys list. It overwrote the original list, and i have it saved and i got it bookmarked.

Personally I would NOT use any list that is connected to a 'chrome' site, or any web site in fact. But then, I am more than a bit paranoid.
I don't know of an easy way to update the fanboy list except to check it occasionally against the date at the top of the adblock.ini in your Iron folder.
I'm not sure what you are asking about 'two' lists! If the text from all of the lists can be added to your adblock.ini file, it should cover them all without having to have more than one.
Now this got me curious...so i went to chromes site to download adblock, and after i click download i am presented with this screen>
Install Adblock?
This extension can access:
Your data on all websites
----------------------------
Now as far as i know, the only adblocker that will work with Iron is the chrome version. The one that can access everything! Is there an alternative adblocker non-related to chrome, that will work with iron? Because apparently, they are still tracking me through the adblock program itself, irregardless of which filter i use! I have tried FF's adblocker, but it's doesn't work with Chrome.

And the 2 lists i was refering to are in the previous posts...easylist and chromes original adblocker list. I am only using fanboys list, and it seems fine, no ads. but now i am very confused by all this. They can still spy on me because i am using their adblocker, the only one i can find that works in iron. And i am like you, i don't want nobody tracking me at all, in any way shape or form.