SrWare Iron and Internet Download Manager

Iron Forum for english speaking people

power2themax12

SrWare Iron and Internet Download Manager

Post by power2themax12 »

I just started running Iron, and I am so impressed. I absolutely love it. One issue: I have IDM (Internet Download Manager) and it does not seem to work with Iron. Any ideas or ways to get it to work together? Any ideas for other download managers/accelerators that may work instead?
coolaaron88

Re: SrWare Iron and Internet Download Manager

Post by coolaaron88 »

Yes could someone please answer this question. I would like to use IDM with Iron as well
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

What I do is NOT let download managers be 'extended' into my browsers. I don't use IDM, but the one I do use runs independent of the browser, and when I get a link or file I want to download with it, I just drag the download link to the open window for my D/L manager.
Night Owl

Post by Night Owl »

@ironuser:

Thanks for the tip!! That works great with Free Download Manager and its Drop Box in the bottom right corner of the screen. :D I think there's something similar to this with Internet Download Manager, but I can't remember for sure. :?:

Thanks again, ironuser. I'll be using SRWare Iron more frequently from now on. :ironvsff
Night Owl

Post by Night Owl »

Night Owl wrote: That works great with Free Download Manager and its Drop Box in the bottom right corner of the screen. :D I think there's something similar to this with Internet Download Manager, but I can't remember for sure. :?:
My other computer has Internet Download Manager so I was able to check this now. Under Internet Download Manager's Task menu, click on "Show drop target". Now you can drag a link to the Drop Target box in the bottom right corner of the screen. :D
power2themax12

Post by power2themax12 »

The dropbox is better than nothing (thanks for the info about it) but it still would be nice if it could be integrated...
coolaaron88

Post by coolaaron88 »

Could you please allow Iron to integrate with IDM. It would be so perfect
smekkley

Post by smekkley »

I kind of succeeded to integrate Free Download Manager with iron. My mother tongue is Japanese, so please excuse my bad english. I hope you all understand.
Go to the settings of IDM and click on "monitoring" and check the box of google chrome, press OK. Then, FDM will say something like "it cannot locate the google chrome" if you haven't got google chrome, and it lets you locate manually. When you locate, choose the folder you installed iron, and press OK, it will go through. As a result, when you download something with iron, IDA automatically appears, although it doesn't work for certain types of websites.
Idon't use IDA so I know nothing about IDA, but i guess if it can integrate with chrome, there is a good chance that it can do the same with iron.
LagannBTT

Post by LagannBTT »

use this extension

Current supported Download Managers:

BitComet
Download Master
FlashGet 2
FlashGet 3.x
FlashGet Mini
FlashGet
Free Download Manager
FreshDownload
GetRight
GigaGet
HiDownload
InstantGet
Internet Download Accelerator
Internet Download Manager
LeechGet 2002
LeechGet
Mass Downloader
Net Transport 2
Net Transport
NetAnts
Orbit
QQDownload
ReGet
Star Downloader
Thunder (Old)
Thunder Mini
Thunder Web
Thunder
TrueDownloader
WellGet
iGetter
wxDownload Fast
Raener

Post by Raener »

smekkley wrote:..Go to the settings of IDM and click on "monitoring" and check the box of google chrome, press OK. Then, FDM will say something like "it cannot locate the google chrome" if you haven't got google chrome, and it lets you locate manually. When you locate, choose the folder you installed iron, and press OK, it will go through..
Thank you for this post.

Though I needed to do some extra steps as Free Download Manager was not giving me the option to define where Chrome is even though I don't have it installed anymore. I found out that FDM stores it's settings in the registry so I had a look and discovered where they reside.

What I did was the following:

1) Close Iron, open FDM, go to settings, downloads, monitoring and make sure Google Chrome is not ticked
2) Open Run and type regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FreeDownloadManager.ORG\Free Download Manager\Settings\Monitor
3) On the right you'll see ChromePDI listed, right-click modify, type the path to your Iron install (make sure to end the path with "plugins\" the backslash is important), click OK
4) Open Free Download Manager, now tick Google Chrome. FDM pastes npfdm.dll into your_iron_install_path\plugins\
5) Run Iron, everything should work without the need for any extensions like suggested above

This is better than using an extension to sort the problem as they all require "All data on your computer and the websites you visit" which is the most intrusive permission; "This item contains an NPAPI plug-in. Caution: NPAPI plug-ins can do almost anything, in or outside of your browser. For example, they could use your webcam, or they could read your personal files." - Chrome Web Store Help

FDM still does not capture every download, though almost links that share their file type in the URL will be and even some that do not state it.

FDM > IDM.

:ironvschrome