AdBlock.ini auto updater

Iron Forum for english speaking people

evelynz8735

Re: AdBlock.ini auto updater

Post by evelynz8735 »

ilboso wrote:Hello everybody!
Since I didn't find anything around, I wrote a little program to automatically download adblock.ini and I want to share it.

Instructions:
  • download the attached file update_adblock.zip
  • unzip it
  • open update_adblock.vbs with your favorite text editor (Notepad works well)
  • near the top of the file, modify "source" and "destination" parameters to match your directories

Code: Select all

' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' PARAMETERS
    const source = "http://fanboy.co.nz/adblock/iron/adblock.ini"
    const destination = "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRWare Iron\adblock.ini"

• put the file in any directory of your choice
  • double click it!
  • if it's all ok, you can schedule it with Windows built-in scheduler!
hope it's useful! :D

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Post by evelynz8735 »

SRWare wrote:
jerrytouille wrote:an error in Win7: "Permission denied"
You have to configure the schedule so that it runs as admin, otherwise it can't write to Programs-Folder

This is GREAT!

Is there a way to add a custom list/block of filter texts to the updated adblock.ini automatically?

Post by Scream81 »

Here you go, still working fine for me :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Scream81 wrote:Here you go, still working fine for me :)
Thanks! I got it downloaded, extracted the updater file notepad, than saved it to desktop, (easier to work with when i don't have to dig for it in folders), i dragged it into the startup folder, and i rebooted my pc, but it didn't update the adblock file. Fanboys list always says one day ahead, i have his url saved in my toolbar, and i used to have to manually copy all the text by selecting it and scrolling all the way down, and save as adblock.ini, or it just saved the text and it wouldn't update the fadblock file. but this doesn't. Also i modified to code so i don't have to "click out" of the update text that does appear, and that works, so i don't know what's going on...i feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Scream81

Post by Scream81 »

mine is downloading correct, the date fits too. Maybe its because of an other time zone that yours is showing one day ahead?
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Scream81 wrote:mine is downloading correct, the date fits too. Maybe its because of an other time zone that yours is showing one day ahead?
Yeah, I'm using win 7, 64 bit, also that auto updater in put in the sartup folder still says the 6th, so that's not working. I'm using win 7 64 bit, i live in the us, est zone. I think fanboy lives in new Zealand, hence the different time zone.I got the pop-up page that shows up upon reboot that tells me the adblocker auto updated, but the date is still the 6th. I'm waiting to update so i can make sure the auto updater does it. It should say the 8th today. I left it alone o i can see weather or not the auto-update will work when i finally do get it to work.
ironuser

Post by ironuser »

Did you search your system to see if it put the adblock.ini somewhere else?
Did you make sure to change the lines that point to your Iron install folder?

' PARAMETERS
The 'const destination' path needs to be absolutely right!!!
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

ironuser wrote:Did you search your system to see if it put the adblock.ini somewhere else?

' PARAMETERS
Yes, and yes. I wouldn't get the pop-up screen that says it auto-updated if it was in the wrong folder. I can even edit that so i don't get the window, but for now i want to let it pop-up and inform me if what, it least "it" knows...lol.

I copied your text exactly the way you posted it, i even edited it moving the text close together, and in the Orin folder it just says adblock...no .ini extension is shown...tried that, same results, so i set it back to where you have it posted.
I look in the startup folder, and there it is. I don't know why it isn't working for me. I modified the destination, but it doesn't need to be, it's the exact same as you posted. Still didn't work.
whatisinternet

Post by whatisinternet »

jazluvr wrote:
ironuser wrote:Did you search your system to see if it put the adblock.ini somewhere else?

' PARAMETERS
Yes, and yes. I wouldn't get the pop-up screen that says it auto-updated if it was in the wrong folder. I can even edit that so i don't get the window, but for now i want to let it pop-up and inform me if what, it least "it" knows...lol.

I copied your text exactly the way you posted it, i even edited it moving the text close together, and in the Orin folder it just says adblock...no .ini extension is shown...tried that, same results, so i set it back to where you have it posted.
I look in the startup folder, and there it is. I don't know why it isn't working for me. I modified the destination, but it doesn't need to be, it's the exact same as you posted. Still didn't work.
Same as me, did everything as per instructions but it doesn't update the adblock.ini :|
jazluvr

Post by jazluvr »

Scream81 wrote:For automatic update every Startup you can place the adblock auto updater in your Autostart folder. Then it autoupdates every day. Then it would be better to change the messagebox to a popupbox, so you don't need to click it away every time you start your pc....Could look like this:
Change this line:

MsgBox s, vbInformation, "Adblock updated"
to this:

Dim WshShell 
	Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
	WshShell.popup s, 3, "Adblock updated",	64
	'MsgBox s, vbInformation, "Adblock updated"
Works great for me!
Scream81, Could you please tell us step by step how you got it to work? I have tried everything and can't get it to work. It even shows up in the startup folder in msconfig, and it's checked, so it's supposed to work. For some reason, it's not writing to Iron's folder. I get the pop-up page that says it updated, and i can even make that "not appear", but it's just not writing to the iron folder, is my guess. I see no option to run as admin, only to drag the extracted folder to the startup window. Again, I'm using win 7 pro, 64 bit.