Iron Forum for english speaking people

Postby tryforsure » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm using Iron 4 on winxp.
I was wondering if it is better to use the adblock extension, available as an addon, from

as this extension will autoupdate itself and is more user friendly overall.

Will it confict with Irons built in extension at all?

Re: Adblock

Postby Scorpius » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:03 am

I actually use both but I don't use that extension but the one named Adblock+.

The difference is clear: The extension will only hide the elements, but they are still downloaded (bandwidth is wasted).

The built-in adblock doesn't even download them, but since Chromium doesn't have content policy, you may realize that some pages look broken.

So I use the Adblock+ extension to hide those leftovers (CSS related) of the built-in adblock.

Postby tryforsure » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for that info I did not realise that ablock extension only hide the ads after downloading.

and thanks for the tip concerning the adblock+ element hider. I will use that as well as the built in blocker.

Postby Udy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:35 am

There is kinda like no point in using an extension to hide the ads while blocking the ads using adblock.ini.

The major advantage to using adblock.ini is simple: significant performance increase (esp. on netbooks). Loading, the hiding is no-where-as efficient as just blocking them all off.

Feel free to annoy SRWare to implement a GUI for the adblock.ini ....

Postby swoody » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 am

Obviously, there's no adblock.ini file in the Linux version. Is there still a way to get the blocker to work with it? I thought I came across some info regarding this recently, but I can't find where :?

Postby arflech » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm thinking there is one, but it just doesn't go in the directory where the binaries are; have you tried the user-data folder, like ~/.chromium/

Return to “SRWare Iron Support (English)”