favicons (but a BIG THANKS first off!)

Iron Forum for english speaking people
ironuser

favicons (but a BIG THANKS first off!)

Postby ironuser » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:47 am

1st off, Thanks fro getting the English forums translations done! MUCH easier for this single language user to read.

Now, the favicons. HOW do I get rid of the darned things?

w33d3r

Re: favicons (but a BIG THANKS first off!)

Postby w33d3r » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Not an expert but I dont think you can, I am pretty sure they are saved along with your bookmarks in a database file. The only way I know not to have them save is if you run Iron in full incognito mode (by editing your Iron icon properties, and in the target box add a space at the end of the path followed by -incognito)....
"C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe" -incognito

In full incognito no history/cookies/passwords or favicons will be saved during incognito sessions. So you can make new folders and bookmarks without any associated favicon.
Have a separate copy of Iron icon (right click, send to desktop, move it wherever you want) without the -incognito switch if you want to go to a site and be offered to save a password, then revert to using the full incognito icon.

I would like to ask how do we keep bookmarks and passwords if updating the portable version of Iron. I thought I had the right files to put asside and overwrite the new installation with my bookmarks and passwords ... but unfortunately everything was lost. Had to start from scratch.

ironuser

Re: favicons (but a BIG THANKS first off!)

Postby ironuser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 am

w33d3r wrote:Not an expert but I dont think you can, I am pretty sure they are saved along with your bookmarks in a database file. The only way I know not to have them save is if you run Iron in full incognito mode (by editing your Iron icon properties, and in the target box add a space at the end of the path followed by -incognito)....
"C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe" -incognito

In full incognito no history/cookies/passwords or favicons will be saved during incognito sessions. So you can make new folders and bookmarks without any associated favicon.
Have a separate copy of Iron icon (right click, send to desktop, move it wherever you want) without the -incognito switch if you want to go to a site and be offered to save a password, then revert to using the full incognito icon.

Yeah, I know about this, but if incognito is invoked, flash block and some other extensions don't work. I will look to see if SQlite can read those files, and remove the silly damned things. Thanks for the response.

w33d3r wrote:I would like to ask how do we keep bookmarks and passwords if updating the portable version of Iron. I thought I had the right files to put asside and overwrite the new installation with my bookmarks and passwords ... but unfortunately everything was lost. Had to start from scratch.

I have COPIED over complete profiles from the default, and NOTHING is there that I think should be! Bookmarks, passwords, exceptions, etc. I have to redo everything! Not a good thing IMHO. It appears that Iron does not recognize anything put into a new profile, or COPIED TO an existing profile.
Also, it's a real shame that we can't IMPORT from an existing Iron browser profile. NOT EVEN an option in the Import function! Should be!

Return to “SRWare Iron Support (English)”