Install instructions for 4.0.227 Beta for Linux?

Iron Forum for english speaking people

jlturriff

Install instructions for 4.0.227 Beta for Linux?

Post by jlturriff »

Hi,
I just learned about your Iron browser, and I have downloaded the package for Linux; but I don't know what to do to install it. I see that a previous release had a README file, but there is no longer one in the package.

Help!?

Leslie
mister_playboy

Re: Install instructions for 4.0.227 Beta for Linux?

Post by mister_playboy »

You can run the binary by simply double clicking on the "iron" executable. Make sure you have allowed the binary to be executable. You can make a launcher for your app list or panel and point it at the binary, too.

What distro are you using?
jlturriff

Post by jlturriff »

mister_playboy wrote:You can run the binary by simply double clicking on the "iron" executable. Make sure you have allowed the binary to be executable. You can make a launcher for your app list or panel and point it at the binary, too.

What distro are you using?
I'm using openSuSE 11.0. If I want to make Iron available to multiple users, I should put Iron into /usr/local/bin/ and the *.so files into /usr/local/lib/, right? Will I need to set up symlinks for the *.so files?
jlturriff

Post by jlturriff »

mister_playboy wrote:You can run the binary by simply double clicking on the "iron" executable. Make sure you have allowed the binary to be executable. You can make a launcher for your app list or panel and point it at the binary, too.
Hmmm... I unpacked the package in my home bin directory and tried running iron from the command line, and got

./iron: symbol lookup error: ./iron: undefined symbol: g_signal_override_class_handler

So I poked around and tried running the chrome-wrapper script with --help, and got this:

./chrome-wrapper --help
./chrome-wrapper: line 67: /home/turriff/bin/iron-linux/chrome: No such file or directory
./chrome-wrapper: line 67: exec: /home/turriff/bin/iron-linux/chrome: cannot execute: No such file or directory

Looks to me like there's more than just a README file missing here :?:
mister_playboy

Post by mister_playboy »

jlturriff wrote:Hmmm... I unpacked the package in my home bin directory and tried running iron from the command line, and got

./iron: symbol lookup error: ./iron: undefined symbol: g_signal_override_class_handler

So I poked around and tried running the chrome-wrapper script with --help, and got this:

./chrome-wrapper --help
./chrome-wrapper: line 67: /home/turriff/bin/iron-linux/chrome: No such file or directory
./chrome-wrapper: line 67: exec: /home/turriff/bin/iron-linux/chrome: cannot execute: No such file or directory

Looks to me like there's more than just a README file missing here :?:
I have zero experience with multiple users on Linux, but you should be able to place the binary wherever you like as long as all the users have permission to execute it. I have not actually been able to get Flash to work in Iron, so I'm unable to help with that. Nor am I certain what the "symbol lookup error" is.

The script problem is simple. The script looks to be a straight copy/paste from Chromium. You either need to change the name of the iron binary to "chrome", or replace each instance of "chrome" in the script with "iron".
SRWare
Site Admin

Post by SRWare »

jlturriff wrote: ./iron: symbol lookup error: ./iron: undefined symbol: g_signal_override_class_handler
http://www.techienuggets.com/commentLis ... -49653-p=2
Iron-Updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/srware

Donations via Paypal and Bitcoin:
http://iron-start.com/spenden.php